1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

EX80 draining battery

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by FatboyJr., Dec 19, 2011.

1. FatboyJr.

FatboyJr. Junior Member

I recently had a new EX80 installed on my 2003 F-250 at a dealership, When I went to pick it up after hours I noticed something wasn't right. The truck was running real rough in idle and when I used the controller to move the plow it dimmed the lights and killed the radio. I left the truck there. In the morning they checked it out and said there was nothing wrong w/ it that I probably needed a new battery. So I picked it back up and installed a new battery. The new battery did fix the rough idle and now the lights do not dim or the radio does not die when I operate the plow. Now the problem I am having is when the plow is hooked up it drains the battery dead in about a 24 to 36 hour period if the truck sits. The battery does not die if the plow is not hooked up, even if the truck sits for over a week. So I guess I was just wondering if anybody has any trouble shooting ideas I can do myself to figure this out or do I need to waste more time dealing w/ the dealership that installed it that doesn't think there is a problem. Thanks in advance to anyone that can try to help me out.

2. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Does the controller shut off when you shut the truck off? It should and if it doesn't the coil(s) for float stay energized and that's why the battery is going dead.

3. FatboyJr.

FatboyJr. Junior Member

Thanks for the quick reply. No the controller does not shut off when the truck is off. I have to make sure it is off. The first time it died I thought I had left it on. What is the recomended fix? There is a wire connected to my fuse panel to I believe the fuel pump fuse. It stays hot at all times. Do I just have to find a fuse that is not hot when key is off?

4. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

Fatboy!!!!!!!!!! Me tooooooo.... Every time I park the truck I have to unhook the plow. The plow remote on my snowdogg has a power button and it is turned off and it still drains battery. Sounds like we have possibly the same issue.. I will be checkin back on this one....... Good luck cuz if you figure it out, me figures it out!!!!Thumbs Up:redbounce

5. festerw

festerw Senior Member

Yea I would try moving it to a ignition hot circuit first and see if it stops.

6. DIRISHMAN

DIRISHMAN PlowSite Veteran

Sounds like a poor ground somwhere and the cicut is being left open.

Looks like its time to call SCOTT from DOGG :dizzy:

7. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Nothing is wrong, you've got the wire tapped into the wrong location.

That red/white fused wire under the dash that goes to the controller MUST go to an ignition switched source. In the instructions, "OEM approved +12VDC ignition switched source".

If it's tapped to battery (an always hot source) the light relays will stay energized.

Move to a proper source, and you should be fine.

8. DIRISHMAN

Way to go Scott. Can ALWAYS count on you for Support:mechanic:

9. DIRISHMAN

HAPPY HOLIDAYS SCOTT TO YOU AND ALLL THE GUYS AND GIRLS AT BUYERS :waving:

10. smoorman

smoorman Sponsor

Thanks - to you as well! Hopefully we'll start seeing some snow around. I know there a lot of plowers out there with itchy trigger fingers.

Hopefully everybody got a lot of contracts signed early this year! I wouldn't want to be working per push right now.

Scott

11. FatboyJr.

FatboyJr. Junior Member

Thanks guys. I am going to go mess w/ it now. Update in a couple of days.

12. FatboyJr.

FatboyJr. Junior Member

Problem solved. Thank you very much. Scott I consider that some top notch service.

13. chevboy167

chevboy167 Member

. this is a good indication to return to dealership that installed the unit for the proper wiring. but, glad to hear you have the unit working properly with little headache. Happy plowing!