1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ex-employee now plowing...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by vmj, Mar 8, 2015.

1. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

I have a guy that was plowing for me for a couple of years, Was always doin his own drive ways, Just did a couple of com lots for me.. He does not plow for me now and took on a couple of lots... found out he has just basic truck insurance which he says he covered,Has no liability insurance, which he says he told customers.. And doesn't claim any of the money.... Now hes trying to get a lot that im trying to get back. The customer went for a cheaper price this year and the guy heardly showed up...

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Nothing new, cheap is cheap.Did he have all the insurance when he was plowing for you?

3. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

It is the end of the season, if the customer wants cheap service you might not change them. Go after other work. Do you have to charge sales tax in your state? Jersey yes, but here everything is taxed.

4. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

The nature of doing business there will always be low ballers and customers that value price over quality of service.

5. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

tax has to be charged... he has not registered with the state...

6. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

NO that's why I let him go.... he said he did... then couldn't show it...

7. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Bid it and show you have Insurance.

8. all ferris

all ferris Senior Member

Why are you worried about it? There is nothing you can do. Go on with life and worry about yourself

9. PLandscaping

PLandscaping Junior Member

No responsibile property owner/manager will have an uninsured operator plow their property.

If they give it to him, without documentation of insurance, they're irresponsible and you don't want them.

10. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

This is whats bothering meee. Paying the taxes paying the insurance and he not... as property owners there accepting him not having it.... he said he has told them he has no liability insurance.... and ther paying him with a check..

11. PLandscaping

PLandscaping Junior Member

Well they better pray he does a good job, because when the first slip and fall happens, and the lawyers realize he has no liability and I'm sure very little assets, their next move will be to squeeze whatever they can out of the property managers.

12. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

he telling me that they carry enough insurance on the property if something happens,,,,

13. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

Hes not claiming any of the checks.... I cant see how the owners can do the same for s comm property....

14. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Stupid .
    paying out of petty cash this way they are probably not paying sales tax too,

15. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

If you want to play dirty turn him in for not paying sales tax. It most likely will not get you the account back though.

Insurance..go to the customer and give him two rates one without insurance one with and tell them you will not be running without insurance in case your work causes someone to get hurt while you are not there. Then ask them if their insurance cover themselves from slip and falls ?

This might just shed enough light for them to see that cheaper is not always cheaper.

16. On a Call

On a Call Senior Member

And ...how much did they save by not going with you ?

17. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

There is no "sales tax" on a service, only on a translatable product. I've never in 33 years have I collected sales tax or any tax, At least not in my state or WI, CO.

Next, can you prove he doesn't have the proper insurance?
    Then your going to go to the client and interfere with how they do business with their clients?:laughing:

A business license only protects the business.
    With a small business it may or may not be a legal requirement in his area.

IMO, The only recourse you have is to report him to your city or county as operating with out a business license.

Move on, that's capitalism, a competition.
    The fact they went with him is moot, they were going to fire you as soon as someone cheaper came along and he did.

Why didn't the OP have a non-compete clause with his "employee"

18. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

In WI Snowplowing is not taxable.
    Mowing the lawn IS.

The tax codes here are nuts! I have the book. Some stuff you have to charge tax for and other things you do not.

19. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Thumbs Up cool.

I don't mow lawns....

20. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

It's called GUBERMENT! Nothing they do (either local, state or federal) makes sense. :laughing: