1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ex Cab Wind Noise

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by NBI Lawn, Jan 25, 2015.

1. NBI Lawn

NBI Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

I am looking at a 05 GMC ex cab. The wind noise inside is crazy :dizzy: ! Is there a door seal upgrade they offer? What can be done to remedy this?

2. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

It looks like you have two choices.

1. Replace all the door seals. (After all they are 10 years old)

2. Buy a new $60,000 + GMC

Your choice.

3. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Have you inspected the door seals to see if they are torn anywhere? How about having someone come for a ride and see if they can hear where it is coming from? Does the windshield on the inside of the truck freeze when it gets cold?

4. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

After inspecting the door seals, if you don't find anything wrong, and if the truck has the big trailer tow mirrors on it as apposed to standard side mirrors, go for a drive with both mirrors folded in. Sometimes you would be amazed at the amount of noise that the big mirrors create which isn't really a door seal (or lack thereof) but an aerodynamics issue. The newer trucks have helped alleviate some of that by additional seals and better aerodynamics from more rounded edges.

5. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

My tow mirrors make the most wind noise then any thing else on the truck :p

6. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

are the back doors hard to open?, if so you may need to change the lower locks $(@65 each)....might be freezing up.

broke 2 handle to learn about it

7. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie Senior Member

not sure you may have this prob ...

If the previous owner had to bend the top of the door open to unlock it (locked the keys in it...) ... you may have a bowed out door...

I've seen these doors flex just as I said. just slip a screw driver in the top back corner of the drivers door, pry open and slip a wallet in the gap, then pull it further out and slip the wallet down a bit at a time ... and eventually you can get your whole hand in near the window top ... to unlock

Sometimes the window explodes and most times the door ends up with the top bowed out ... if so ... put a 2' x 4' in the bottom back edge and push the top toward close ... bend it the other way (I didn't really say that)

8. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Wonder what it'll sound like with a blade on the front...:rolleyes: