1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Everytime I use my plow it;s something. PLEASE help

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by kshamper114, Jan 3, 2010.

1. kshamper114

kshamper114 Junior Member

Ok so last week when I used my plow it worked fine. Tonight when I hooked it up it raised fine. Then the left and right was not working good, it was going slow. then the plow would not lift at all. I got it home and I looked at what was the problem last time. I took out the cross-over releif valve and made sure the o-rings were good. they were. I looked at the fluid level and (with the ram up) the fluid was low.I topped off the fluid. I moved the blade left and right and I checked the fluid level. Not the smartest thing I've done, the fluid leaked out. So now I know the fluid is low. I used some hydrolic fliud I had that was suitable for plows. I moved the plow up and down and left and right some meor. The left and right have no pressure in them anymore. I think that is from air in the system.
    The motor runs when used. eh motor will npt move the blade left or right. it will lift the ram up but when the chain is tight it will not lift anymore.
    So tomorrow after I get out of work I am going to drain all the fluid, take the pump off, change the filter, and fill it up again. i will bleed the system and top off the fluid.
    Does anyone have any other sugestions?

2. nobullfrogs

nobullfrogs Junior Member

I've had issues with my 2 Western Straight blades this season too. The first issue i had sounds a lot like the same issue you have. My first advice would be to make sure your power system is good. check the ground cables, solenoids, and the battery itself. my truck had 2 batteries and the solenoid that connected the alternator to the 2nd battery (that the plow was connected too) had a bad ground. This solved every problem. If you go to western's website, you can download a mechanics guide that shows you how to test every component of the plow (wiring, hydros, valves, ....).

3. Pushin 2 Please

Pushin 2 Please PlowSite Veteran

Had the same problem, heard there was bad Western fluid going around. Drained pump and started over and so far (keeping my fingers crossed) all is well! Good luck.

4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

sounds like the filter is frozen up along with the air you might have put into the system.

5. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

make sure after you bleed out the system, check the fluid with the ram DOWN

6. kshamper114

kshamper114 Junior Member

So loos like it was the filter after all. If I only did that 3 weeks ago when it was 40 degrees out. I drained the fluid out and housing. I cleaned all the gunk out of the bottom of the housing. There was not a lot but i'm sure enough to clog the filter again. I rinsed it out with hydro fluid to try to get it all out. I replaced the filter and put a new gasket on the motor housing. I pushed the plow back and forth and checked the level. After trying it out I think it works better than ever now. Looks like I will be doing that at the begining of every winter.
    I thank everyone again for all of the advise. I'm sure that I will need it again in the future(hopefully not the near future).

7. ringahding1

ringahding1 Senior Member

8. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Glad everything work out