1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

everything but parking lights

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by johnyredd99, Jan 4, 2010.

1. johnyredd99

johnyredd99 Junior Member

boss v plow on 2002 f550. all lights work except parking lights on plow. turn signals work. parking lights worked last year. I have done a search but only find headlights not working. thanks for the help

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Probably lost the parking light connection where it's tied into the trucks parking light wire. Easy to verify with a test light at the plow plug. Simply probe socket # 11 (see pic) with the parking lights on and see if you're getting power there. If not then you know it's a problem in the truck side and the parking light tie in connection is where you want to start. It will be a yellow wire from the plow harness.

But if you find that you do have power there then its a plowside issue, we'll then diagnose further.

13 pin truck side.jpg

3. ohiogreenworks

ohiogreenworks Senior Member

I'll trade you. My parking lights work but no headlights....:D

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Hmm, don't know about that one. Think I'd sooner have the option to see what I'm about to mow over. :D

5. johnyredd99

johnyredd99 Junior Member

testing tomorrow thank you for the input. and ill keep the headlights

6. vincent

vincent Senior Member

what if the truck side socket #11 is hot? Now what:dizzy:

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You don't have turns or marker right Vince? Then the issue is on the plow side and it's probably the brown ground wire that leads down to the motor ground terminal. It grounds both markers and turns (but not the headlamps so they'll still work), so if you lose them all thats likely the cause. Just pull the pump cover off and you'll find the brown wire. Make sure it's clean, tight and actually has ground with your test light.

8. vincent

vincent Senior Member

I will check that and report back.

Thanks

9. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

Since this came up, last season my outer parking light on the drivers side quit working, but both the turn bulbs on that side still worked. Now the passenger side is the same way. So I only have the inner running lights on both sides, and not the outer, but all 4 light up for the turn signals. I changed the bulbs and that did nothing. I have not really had time to even mess with it but do you know if the outer sockets are grounded separate from the inner ones? I really don't get why part of it works and part does not work.

10. vincent

vincent Senior Member

where is the brown wire?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only black, orange, red, white, To answer a future question, I put new bulbs w/grease, nothing.

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Wasn't aware you were running a plow that old Vince. Must be at least 5 years old to not have the brown ground under the pump cover.

Your turns and makers are grounded to a reinforcement plate inside each of the headlamp housings. Simply remove the retainer ring, remove the reflector housings and you'll see the brown ground lead attached to the plate inside. Check/clean that connection (one in each housing). Also as a simple test (once you have the headlights opened up) run a ground jumper from the neg battery terminal to the brown wire to see if the lights begin to function. Won't be surprised if they do.

Often times since the brown is only grounded through the light housing mountings it loses ground as they (the mounts) like to rust. This is the reason on the newer plows Boss ran a dedicated ground up from the motor ground, which is what I originally had you looking for. You can add it yourself while you're in there. Simply run it up and tie it into the existing brown ground in the lamp housing. Just be sure to add an inline diode if you do.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your park/turn assemblies need disassembled and their connections cleaned, as yes although there's only a single ground lead to the housings there's a brass terminal for each bulb and where those brass terminals make contact with the wire inside the housings is where the corrosion is. There's actually 8 individual pieces that make up the light assemblies so there's more than a couple of connections in there to corrode.

A good tip, once you have the housings stripped of all their pieces drop the main housing and the four brass contacts (that are removable from the housings) into a pan of CLR and allow it to soak for a few minutes. This will remove any/all internal corrosion that isn't possible to remove with a scraper/screwdriver or other means.

Or take the easy way out and replace the complete lights as a whole assembly. Your choice. :waving:

13. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

Good to know. If it quits snowing long enough to play with the lights I'm going to do that.:drinkup:

14. vincent

vincent Senior Member

Well I found 99% of the problem. The truck headlight switch must be on the manual and not automatic. When its on automatic, the sigals nor the running lights on the plow work. If its on manual they both work, why, I have no idea.

But, ready for the 1%

the right side turn signal and running light on the plow still doesnt work. The ballast is getting power as I put a test light on it. The wires to the ballast are hot. The bulbs are new and even tried a different set of new bulbs, no go here. So Im almost there.

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What you're calling "ballasts" Vince are actually relays assuming you're referring to the small boxes that are tied in to the truck side headlight adapter harness's. And I can tell you a fault with one of those would only cause a turn signal issue one one side (which you have) but won't cause you to lose one maker light because both plow markers a fed by a single wire once it's on the plow side. So you still have an issue in the plow side harness or in the light itself..and it's probably still a ground issue. May want to look around closely at the harness to see if it's been cut or hacked into previously since you bought the plow used. Have you verified ground right at the bulb sockets? I think you'll find there isn't any which would explain no turn or marker on that side.