1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Everything almost perfect....but

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dieselmadman, Dec 12, 2009.

1. dieselmadman

dieselmadman Junior Member

Hi all,

I have two western plows on two vehicles. The first is a '93 Ford Bronco that had a 7.5 standard on it. The other is an '04 Silverado crew cab diesel that had a 7'2" LSX on it, both with Unimounts. So, figuring the bigger plow should be on the bigger truck, I switched them. Everything works perfectly on the Silverado, and everything BUT the headlights work on the Bronco. Blinkers work, running lights work, blade goes up and down and angles just as it should. On the dash it shows that the high beams are on even if they are not. I thought before I went tearing into things I would check with this group and see if someone has a quick and easy fix. By the way, everything worked on both trucks before I switched them. Any thoughts? Thanks, in advance.

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Let me understand. everything works, "EXCEPT" the HIGH beam on the ford don't work? OR is it on the plow??

The RED wire going to the headlight (on the truck) go to HIGH BEAM relay #87A
    HIGH beams on the plow is a WHITE wire and that goes to same relay #87

The connector that plug into you vehicle headlight connector is a GREEN wire.

Here is the wiring diagram

ford e.jpg

also check the ground wire (black)on the headlight connector, could be a ground problem..

ford e.jpg

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
  3. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

Headlights probably won't work on the Bronco as the '04 Chevy was a 12 pin , 6 relay system which uses a 64078 set of headlights , the Bronco was a 9 pin 2 relay system which used the 61540-1 lights .

Both are wired completly different , simple solution : Swap the headlight/wiring from plow to plow and you should be all good. I would do it soon so you do not fry wiring in both trucks.

TOM

4. twinman326

Ah, I guess I read it wrong.......Must be my day...Hey Nasty, happy holidays to you and your family..

5. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

Ahhh, no biggie . ;)

You also , have a good holiday's :D

TOM

6. dieselmadman

Thanks, for the replies. If the wiring is completely different, I am surprised all the headlights on the Silverado work ok. Anyway, when you say swap the headlights, do you mean literallly just the bulbs or all the wiring. How difficult would it be to do that? Never done it before. Thanks.

7. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

Not hard at all , remove the headlight assemblies , remove the wires from the pump noting where you take them off of (if you forget this step there is a picture inside the solenoid cover) remove the ground wire from the negative motor stud. Installation is reverse of removal.

I have seen 9 pin plows on a 12 pin drive before , shortly after fuses started blowing and the customers call came in :D

TOM

8. dieselmadman

So, if I do this swap will this solve all the problems, or will I still have fuses blowing? It doesn't seem difficult to swap out the assembly. Thanks, for your help.

9. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

No , you will be fine , I was referring to a customer of mine that called when he hooked is '03 Chevy up to his Unimount plow from his 88 Chevy. You may or may not blow fuses on either one of yours , I was just refering to what happened to one of my customers.

By switching the light/control wiring you are simply "swapping" blades between trucks , the lights/control that the Chevy needs will now be on the 7-1/2' and the lights/control that the Bronco needs will now be on the LSX .

Hope this helps

TOM

10. dieselmadman

Man, I love this forum. The problem was exactly as you described. Switched headlight assemblies and worked like a charm. In the process, I noticed the last owner had cracked one of the solenoid covers and had siliconed it closed. I am sure it won't be a problem ordering a new one at the Western dealer near my house. Thanks, again.

11. Nasty-Z

Nasty-Z Senior Member

Glad to help. :D

TOM

12. twinman326

Nasty is the man.........