1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Everyone Knows Which Brand Truck Is The Best

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 32vld, Jan 17, 2014.

1. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Some may think it is GM, Ford, Fiat (Dodge).

Now the goal is to not to start a bash the brands war. The goal is to mention the things about their favorite brand that they do not like and may make them switch to another brand for their next truck. This way we can be aware of the con's as well as the pro's.

I have always liked GM the best. My brother bought a Silverado 1500 in 2011. The truck has traction control and stabilitrak. Every time you start the engine you have to remember to push a button on the dash to disable the traction control. Wait for a light to come on the instrument panel. Then hold the same button for 5 seconds until a light comes on in the IP indicating that the stabilitrax is disabled.

If you can not order a GM without TC or ST my next pickup may be a Ford or a Fiat.

So gentlemen please share what you do not like about GM's, Ford's, and Dodge's. You can throw in some likes such as GM 6spd auto 1st is lower then the old 4 spd so it pulls better. Dodge has a 8 spd and I have not heard a word about it. Time to share and learn.

2. UltraLwn&Lndscp

UltraLwn&Lndscp Senior Member

cool guys wear bowties to the party. xysport

3. procut

procut Senior Member

Why do you disable traction control and stabilitrak every time you start the truck?

4. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I'm a GM man myself but I worked for them for 33 years. I do plow with a Ford though. I bought it used and decided to start plowing my own driveway. It has done an outstanding job but it is getting long in the tooth and the body is starting to show some serious signs of rust. Since I just do driveways and not commercial accounts I have considered purchasing an older Jeep with a 4.0.

5. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

It is not that you have to turn it off. To me it is a pain to have to push a button then push again and hold the button for till another IP light comes on. When you do not want it on.

When in off road conditions the truck can start to have some wheel slip climbing a hill. Traction control can apply brakes and cut engine rpm enough to kill your momentum and get you stuck.

Same with the rear slips a little momentum gets killed. You are pushing a load of snow that is heavy enough that TC and ST apply and then the system cuts the trucks speed and power causes the truck to stop and you can not restart the push.

Any time in 4wd and off road there will be wheel spin. I do not want a computer taking the control of the truck out of my hands.

6. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

It's like I tell everyone, I can break any brand or model of truck just the same.......

7. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Junk yards will also tell you that Ford, Chevy and Dodge keep them in business....

8. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

And why do you insist on calling a Ram a Fiat? I don't need to hear any speech about who the parent company is or who is the ultimate owner, the bottom line is, it's manufacturer's name is either Dodge, or Ram if it's newer.

9. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

I love all 3 of them as long as its a diesel...

07 chevy gas new body.. crazy electrical problems.. At the dealer as we speak3rd or 4th time 80k miles

our new 2014 chevy has nice changes E-85 fuel, traction control- just a button to push on dash, bigger tires, truck sets real high and holds 2 tons of salt like theres nothing there.. Way better than my ford with beefed up suspension.. Class 5 trailer hitch

Ford triton engine. junk
    Dodge gas tranny junk

My Duramax has been great
    My Cummins was the best diesel i ever owned and plan to buy another
    Drive a powerstroke now and do love it, has a great tranny rated up to 500 hp stock

10. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

It will always be called a Goat around here

11. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

Unless ford starts softening up their suspension for the people that use them as grocery getters I will not own another brand. They are tough and look the part. 09 chevy 3/4 I drove was low to the ground and felt like a car. The gvwr was there but it didn't feel like it was as capable to me. Have no experience with dodges.

12. myzx6

myzx6 Member

Love my 02 Chevy 2500 hd, 8.1l Allison, insane power right off idle, best sounding engine with a magnaflow dual 3" muffler. 8-13mpg does suck, but I get same fuel mileage empty or totally loaded, unless in 4x4. Also other complaint is short bed fuel tank is only 26 gallons, kinda a joke with a thirsty big block

13. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Love my Chevys. Plowed with an 02 F250 SuperCab Short Bed a couple years ago, for one season. Had a 7'6'' HD on it, plowed pretty good but the ride damn near shook my teeth out. My 99 Tahoe is getting to the end of its life, after 10 seasons of plowing with a 7'6'' HD Fisher on a 3600 lb FGAWR. Lets not go near Dodge, last one was a 1995 2500. That truck was junk.

14. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Ford guy here.

Last truck was a 2004 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins w/ 6 speed. The drive in my Dodge was great, but the rest of the truck was less than stellar. Rust was forming over the left rear tire and I live in NC! The drivers seat fabric wore out, the lumbar adjust broke with no abuse, the dash cracked, a couple of the power windows wouldn't work from their doors, CD player ate CD's, blend door for A/C broke, and the NV5600 tranny became obsolete.

I almost bought a brand new F250 6.0 but the Dodge dealer gave me a much better deal. You could say that I "Dodged" a bullet there, thankfully.

Chevy's have proven to be good trucks, but I can't get over the IFS and low sitting work trucks. With that said, I wouldn't refuse to own one at a good price. I don't mind a 3/4 or 1 ton feeling and driving like one. It's a truck!

15. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Not hating Fiats or Dodges. I have an 05 Jeep TJ unlimited. Serious inquiry on my part with a little fun on the side.

16. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

Me too ;) It's all junk

17. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan Senior Member

Currently have 03 and 05 2500HD Duramax work trucks. Power is plentiful, they always start when cold. Front ends need aftermarket steering when used hard, that's for sure. Both trucks have beefed up springs.

18. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

I like my Dodge. It hasn't let me down yet but I'm sure it will eventually just as any other truck will. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Chevy if I was just driving it around town. Nicest riding truck out there. That being said for work purposes I'd only have a Dodge or Ford. They seem to hold up better than the Chevy trucks do.

19. snowcrazy

snowcrazy Senior Member
    from ohio

chevy guy here just because they never have left me stranded...... I agree with an above post the fords look the part, and seem to have a better grasp on a truch that is made to work but I had one and holly chit was bad. I was scared to move it in my driveway for fear it would break down on me. That was a 97 powerstroke diesel just over 100K miles. My chevys have way more miles than that and always start and truck on. I know I prolly got a lemon ford but it was enough for me to hate them. As for dodge, my buddy has a 2004 cummins.He bought it new. Its for sale and hes wanting a 6.0 litre gasser chevy right now after riding in a few of them. Hes tired of diesel same as I was last year. I like simple and so far chevy gassers have been "simple". As far as I could tell there was nothing simple about diesel. Seemed it was constantly something.

20. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

I have all gm now. All 3/4 ton models. Diesel and bass. Have not had an issue yet. Don't understand why some say they go with ford b/c Chevy don't seem to be an hd model bc they sit lower. I do like the new cummins but have not gotto over dodge being fiat. Ford we had a lot of issues and was tired of shop time and shop money. So gm is our truck choice