1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Everyone Has A Stupid question Sometime

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Seabee15, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Seabee15

Seabee15 Member

Alright...I have 2000 Z71 1/2ton with 3/4ton Torsion bars in the front....with a 7" Fabtech Suspension lift with 35's....I want to get a plow for my truck...is this possible? and if so, what size, and do i need a special bracket? Or did I hurt my self by lifting it? I figure with the stiffer t-bars in the front, it will help with the rake from the weight of the plow.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 22, 2007
  2. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

do a search.
    had numerous threads about that on here last i saw was PLOWS AND LIFTED TRUCKS which had plenty of info for you.

3. salopez

salopez Senior Member

I think that the having a half ton is more of the issue...had you lifted a 3/4 ton it wouldnt be a problem. on of my subs runs a 6 in lift and 44's without issue on a 3/4 ton.

4. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I would really go look for another truck to plow with. The sub steve is talking about required a custom built snow plow (modied by me off course)

The lift and bigger tires are your real problem. Unless you did a gear ratio change.

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Does he plow with the 44's on? Seabee what size of blade are you thinking and how much plowing?

6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Right on, he needs a work truck to go with his toy.

Even if he changes the rears and deals with the power issue, the lift will screw with the plow's angle geometry (unless the mount's modified $$$) and those big tires won't give him any grip. Then there's the maneuverability issue, he'll wear the front end out trying to turn around.

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

That's why I won't to know what blade he wants to run, it's not a big deal to drop the harness down when your installing it on your truck, I'm not sure if he just wants to do his driveway or work all night with it.

8. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Drop the harness?

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

When I say drop the harness, I mean extend it. It's not very hard to do, not with a Boss or an older Meyers anyway. I really looked into it when I put the 4" lift on my truck. Extending the harness, kind of looked like fun to me, no big deal. I just don't know if I need my truck for plowing, we are looking at getting a couple more tractors, so the pickup isn't needed. I am not recommending plowing with a lifted truck, I am simply giving him some idea's. Personally I wouldn't even buy a 1/2 ton but that's what he has. Hell there are a few guys plowing around here with Toyota's and Nissan's, so I think his truck would probably be alright with a 7-7.5ft straight blade. JMO

10. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

He puts on some 35" pizzia cutters that are on stock rims when its snowing.

11. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I thought so. It would be cool to get some picture's of it with the 44's and the blade for sh@t's and giggle's.