1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Everybody ignores my amber lights.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cjasonbr, Dec 23, 2008.

1. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

I think i had 1 person the whole storm actually heed my yellow lights and slow down a little.

I'm just waiting for some ass-hat to run into me while i have my amber warning lights on and i'm doing a driveway.

I'm gonna say, "Didn't you see me ass-hat? I had my amber strobes flashing."

and they'll say, "Yea but i have the right of way and you pulled in front of me"

I'm waiting for it to happen cause i know it will. I don't think it should/would be my fault. Even if they have the right of way they have an obligation to heed to warning lights, especially in a damn snow storm. IMO ignoring warning lights is NEGLIGENT.

I wouldn't be half surprised if while i was plowing a driveway in a snow storm, i didn't notice someone coming from a ways off and pulled out into the street. Because they completely ignored my amber warning lights they're racing along at 40 or so not bothering to touch their brakes when they saw my lights, they then hit they're brakes but obviously can't stop, they smash into me killing me.

If i die early this will be how it happens.

2. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

jesus man sounds like you had it rough in ny the amber light is only to alert others that your vehicle is working if they heed then they are being nice to you, most dont though thats just how it works .it sounds like you want to get hit and when it happens i will laugh because it will be your fault the street has the righ of way. dont mean to be dick but its all part of the game

3. nekos

nekos Senior Member

yup ... amber lights don't mean you have the right to do what you want.

to the OP , be thankful your just doing driveways. in larger parking lots amber lights are like an idiot beacon. every idiot within 10 miles is drawn to it.

4. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

I don't want to get hit. Every time i'm entering the road i look both ways. But the fact of the matter is that many roads i can't see both ways the distance i'd like. Especially when we're getting hammered with 2'' an hour. Someone cruising along at 40 could easily close a gap larger than what i could see on occasion.

I was working during the dusk hour and some people didn't even have their driving lights on and we were getting 2'' an hour. They'd just all the sudden appear. If everyone else was as cautious as i am i wouldn't be worried.

5. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO PlowSite Veteran

it just goes to show how stupid most people are, i feel the same way about dumb ass people not even attempting to slow down. i did however see an article in the paper that said troopers responded to something like 550 accidents over the snowy weekend in ct, so im just assuming people in ct have no common sence and cant drive.

6. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

You have to remember that a majority of people just aren't that smart, and are clueless to their surroundings.

Your light means nothing as far a giving you any sort of authority to gain right of way. If you hit someone it will be your fault. Why you think it shouldn't be is beyond me!

7. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

SO you have a "amber light" ????

Your amber light means you are working along the raodway. you with your amber light flashing still has to yeld the right of way... (maybe even more so because of the light)

What you think having amber light means "Get the **** out of my way so i can get my work done and get paid"?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 23, 2008
  8. swal123

swal123 Junior Member

in taxachusetts poeple are looking to hit you!!!! i plow the ambulace companys in my erea and there are poeple just waiting to hit me.

9. riverwalkland

riverwalkland Senior Member

yeah i agree people should slow down and let us out, but they don't have to so they never will. I just get mad when i am backing out into a road near a red light, which is red and someone blocks the drive when they could have just stopped ten feet early and let me out and back in before the light even changes. I also love people who see me and just speed up so that if i was ever unable to stop backing down a hill towards a road and did slide out into the road they would just make the accident worse... It would be an awesome rule if from 1:00am to 7:00am drivers had to yield to plow trucks.. i'd get my work done twice as fast

10. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

Actually it does. The 'right of way' isn't an absolute right. One has an obligation to yield his right of way if coming upon a potentially hazardous situation.

If Joe Schmo is coming around a corner during a snow storm and see's amber beacons up ahead around that corner, then a reasonable person should figure there might be something going on around that corner, Joe Schmo has an obligation to take the proper precautions. i.e. slow down enough to be sure he can stop in time if indeed the warning lights are an indication of a possibly hazardous situation.

I wish more people realized that.

11. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

Your gonna get hit for sure thinking like that. Then you are going to get sued. In MA you never have the right a way while in reverse or while entering a roadway from a driveway unless there is a traffic light signaling you to go. You also never have the right of way turning left unless again there is a traffic light giving you that right. You do not have the right to be a 'potentially hazardous situtation' either that's called reckless driving. People are idiots and inconsiderate and really just plain stupid. It's up to the rest of us with intelligence to look out for them and make sure they don't hurt themselves even if it means stopping at the end of the driveway so they can drive by. I get my satisfaction in getting the brightest amber lights I can find just to annoy them. It does help when you look at them as they drive by and you can tell they are having a hard time seeing the road beyond you lol.

12. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

i found the complete opposite of this over the weekend. everyone would slow way or stop when we were on the road/clearing an intersection/backing up/whatever. we only had maybe 3 or 4 people pass us the whole time we were on the roads plowing.
    maybe you need more lights?

13. chcav1218

chcav1218 Senior Member

Idk people seem to be a little more cautious when I have my lights on, they slowed down and moved to the other side of the road and such. I only ran into a few idiots

14. ksgcapecod

ksgcapecod Member

Cheer up!! The cops and firefighters on the board will tell you they pay no attention to their blue and red lights or siren. Right guys.

15. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

C'mon. I've already said in two different posts i look both ways, etc, etc. What else should i do? Get out and put my ear to the ground?

I never said in such a situation i would have the right of way. What i said was they have an obligation to yield the right of way - which directly implies that they have the right of way to begin with.

and i never said i have "the right to be a 'potentially hazardous situtation" either. That's just ridiculous.

On a side note though. If i had already backed into the street - and established my position similar to an NBA call - and had an orange beacon going. What gives the other driver the "right of way"?

I guarantee you there is no law saying "In MA you never have the right a way while in reverse or while entering a roadway".

16. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

A yellow light is not a red light. You are not a emergency responder so your yellow light means nothing. How long have you had your license, because thats scary that you think your yellow light gives you some sort of rite of way or anybody should yield you anything. Even if you were a volunteer fire firefighter driving a fire truck with all of the red lights, RED lights and siren on and you pulled in front of on coming traffic and someone hit the fire truck, the fire truck in liable.

17. WingPlow

WingPlow Senior Member

that is an absolute 100% fact

18. cjasonbr

cjasonbr Senior Member
    from Mass

This is the kind of thinking that i'm talking about John Mac. The driving manual is free folks!

http://www.mass.gov/rmv/dmanual/index.htm

"A flashing yellow light is a warning. Proceed with caution, and stay alert."

I'm not saying i have any rights to be a hazard. Or anything else stupid like that. I'm just saying i wish people were more careful and curteous.

19. PlowGood

PlowGood Member

Ain't THAT the truth !!

20. John Mac

John Mac Senior Member

That would be nice, forget it, people don't care about you or your light. As far as they are concerned you are in their way and slowing them down. How many construction workers have been killed on the road with yellow lights on? How many cops have been killed on the side of the road with red and blue lights? I could go on but I won't.