1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Every thing works exept head lights

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Scott Sabin, Mar 20, 2010.

1. Scott Sabin

Scott Sabin Junior Member

Bought a used truck with a boss rt3 straight blade. The lights were never connected. So I tapped into the park/turn signal they work now . Connected head light adapters to the A side flip the truck /plow switch truck lights go out plow lights don't come on.I checked the truck side 13 pin connecter #9 plow common has power and #8 park has power . I'm assuming the harness and light adapters are correct.When I toogle the plow/truck switch I hear a relay clicking I have down loaded wiring diagram and checked the install appears to be ok. What do I check now? If a relay clicks is it good? I have checked the bulbs they are good.The ground seems good checked with test light .

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

What year make and model is the truck?

3. Scott Sabin

I'm sorry ! 1990 chevy 1/2 ton

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And which style of headlamps is the truck equipped with? Single large sealed beams, four small sealed beams, or composites?

Have you checked at the 13 pin connector to be sure there's power and ground on pin # 8 and 9 with the plow low beams activated?

Which way is the vehicle option connector connected in the plow harness... standard or reversed?

5. Scott Sabin

4 headlights composite ,standard orientationlow and low beams on

Last edited: Mar 21, 2010
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like your wiring orientation is all ok.

Do you have 12V on the #8 pin and ground on the #9 pin with the plow lamps turned on an in the low beam position? Should also have 12V on the #7 pin with the highs on.

If you don't then you need to back track to the relays with a test light. You can check for input and output power right at each relay with a test light and with the diagrams you have.

7. Scott Sabin

#9 is hot when low is on #7 is hot when high beam on #8 is not hot

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like # 8 and 9 are backward like the option connector is reversed. Will the standard orientation #8 should be hot and #9 should show ground, but yours are backward, just like they would be if the option connector was reversed.

9. Scott Sabin

Well I double checked that at the connector red/yellow to red/yellow and white/yellow to white/yellow. It doesn't help that I'm color blind so I have my 10 year old daughter help with the colors!

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Then also double check your work at the headlight adapters, there the only other thing that can cause a reversed orientation but it would also be a good idea to go over the entire truck side plow harness to make sure nothing was chopped into or modified in any way that would affect the orientation.

11. Scott Sabin

I'm at that point . The plow dealer would put a new harness on it first thing but I'm not convinced that the harness would be bad enough for that based on everthing else working . I'm sure its something simple .I will go flip the light connectors and see what happens . The dealer told me that they need to be on the A side but the adapters have A and B on one side and a number 97 or 98 onthe other.

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The adapters all need to be on the "A" side.

13. Scott Sabin

They are . I have not found any signs of modifycation The lights were not even plugged in to the adapters when I bought truck

14. Scott Sabin

OK I changed to reverse orientation #8 hot low #7 hot high All the light adadter are on the same side A and B 97- the other side of connector say 98+ the lights still did not come on.These are the actual markings on the connectors

15. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

And if #9 shows good ground the plow lights should be on because you have everything needed at the plug for them to function.

If that's the case next check the plow side harness to be sure the white/yellow wire isn't broken somewhere between the plug pin and the headlamps housings, thus the headlamps would get no ground. You can disassemble either of the lamps and check for continuity in the white/yellow between there and the 13 pin plug.

16. Scott Sabin

Why would both wires at the bulb on the plow be hot ? The white/yellow show power and red/yellow show power. I pulled bulb touched each side of socket test light glowed All the wires are hot on the plow side at the same time except for turn signal and the bright light indicator in the dash is on high or low still no lights.

17. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Because you flipped the option connector over. Flip it back and start over at the relay pack with your test light.

1) One relay will have a red/yellow, that wire should be hot with the low's on with the switch in the plow lamp position.

2) Another relay will have a blue/yellow wire, it should be hot with the high's on.

3) And another one will have a white/yellow and should show GROUND under the same conditions.

If one of these doesn't check out then the relay that's switching THAT wire either isn't being triggered for one reason or another, the relay is bad (have you checked them one at a time yet?), or there's corrosion in the relay sockets.

18. Scott Sabin

B&B you are amazing! Your patience and guidance is truely great. I have no idea what you do for a living,but trouble shooting for Boss should be your trade. It was one of my relays. I thank you Scott Sabin :salute:

19. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good to hear you got it Scott. The Boss systems really aren't very complicated in comparison to some of the other brands when troubleshooting/diagnosing if you understand how they work and the common issues that they have. And working with them on a regular basis makes it a no brainer.

And you're welcome. :salute: