1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Every change a lightbulb in 2011 or newer truck?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jvm81, Jan 7, 2013.

1. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

Day light running light went out. Went to change it at dealer. It took about an hour to take everything apart, 2 minutes to switch bulb, what joke, piss poor design if you ask me. My other trucks are simple but this was terrible.

2. theholycow

theholycow PlowSite.com Addict

I imagine they haven't had to replace many bulbs in 2011+ vehicles yet. Could there be tricks or quick-releases that they don't know? I struggled the first time I tried to replace one on my 2002, then the next time I realized there are quick-releases that make the whole thing fall apart and go back together in a scant few seconds. I bet these guys weren't willing to look it up in the service manual.

3. JeffNY

JeffNY Senior Member

I have a '10 and it doesn't look much different. You don't like taking the entire front end of the truck off to change a bulb? I'm getting good at it, down to about 20 minutes, and that's with a broken tab for the screw on each headlight housing

4. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

It aways is easy the second time I do some work on my truck.

5. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

Thats just it though - service manual was there. IT told us to even take the battery out. My other trucks, 06,07.09 are easy, they do have these quick release deals and bam there out. This was terrible.

6. Newdude

Newdude Senior Member

Was it the drivers or passenger side? I know the top bulb (low beam bulb) on the passenger side (I think you can get to the bottom one as well), you can remove the airbox and get to the bulbs. A bit tight but I have done it before.

7. campkd6

campkd6 Senior Member

My 2007 GMC Yukon XL calls for removing the wheel wells and the front fascia to change the bulbs.. says see dealer in the book. Can do without just very tight have to pull the air box and rubber flap. No quick pins headlights are bolted in. 2 on the top 1 on the back behind the wheel well.