1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Evergreen ice melt

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by road2damascus, Nov 21, 2013.

1. road2damascus

road2damascus PlowSite.com Addict

Anyone use evergreen ice melt for walkways? It does not disclose % of each substance. I understand that "green" products are not really regulated. So is it colored salt with trace amounts of other products? Could it be turned into liquid? I got some customers who are concerned about landscaping of course. I am looking for a "cya" product when they come telling me their grass is burned. Thanks for any input.

2. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

EverGreen™ Professional Ice Melter
    COMPOSITION:
    EverGreen™ Professional Ice Melter is a blend of five ice melting chemicals.
    Sodium Chloride CAS Number 7647-14-5
    Urea CAS Number 0057-13-6
    Potassium Chloride CAS Number 7447-40-7
    Magnesium Chloride CAS Number 7791-18-6
    CMA CAS Number 76123-46-1

trying it for the first time this year

3. road2damascus

I am thinking about it. Price seems to be pretty good.

4. cl733

cl733 Senior Member
    from Canada

what did you used to use, we have been using deep thaw, it works in the cold weather really good , but I still wonder if there is something that will work better

5. road2damascus

Roadrunner, which is not advertised as a "green" ice melt, but i don't see any issues with it hurting vegetation.

Tried Clean melt last year and seems to be a glorified treated salt. It was also expensive compared to other brands.

I would like to get percentages of each product on labels from now on. The "green" market seems a little unregulated.

I am also trying out liquid calcium/salt brine, in back pack sprayers, which has a much much much lower amount of calcium/salt used per square ft. So I don't see it hurting vegetation either.

6. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

Had to go look it up, because I was curious about what CMA is:
    Agent Name Calcium magnesium acetate
    Synonyms Chevron ice-B-gon deicer; Acetic acid, calcium magnesium salt; Cryotech CMA Deicer
    Comments May cause eye irritation; Not a skin sensitizer in guinea pigs; Considered practically non-toxic by ingestion, inhalation, and skin absorption; [Cryotech Deicing Technology MSDS]
    <http://hazmap.nlm.nih.gov/category-details?id=12688&table=copytblagents>

That's one ingredient, but I dunno how kindly it would be to plants.

7. Schoenberg Salt

Schoenberg Salt Member

CMA is great for plants, metals, and concrete. It was developed for sensitive areas like bridges and ecologically sensitive areas in the 1970's. It has a very low BOD Point so it doesn't use much Oxygen while it decomposes (good for fish in lakes and streams) and only takes a few days till it breaks down into components like water and CO2 so it doesn't have Long to affect vegetation/soil even if it was harmful. The problem is you might not find a more expensive Deicer on the market. When CMA sells for $3,000/ton... How much can you add to a blend without it being $40 per 50lb Bag? There is a reason %'s are not given.

8. road2damascus

This is the info I am looking for. Thank you.

I have used evergreen on walkways. It works fairly well. I am going to continue use and report anything. I will still try and find out percentages. :salute:

9. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

I tried it last year for sidewalks. Worked ok but it doesn't go thru the spreader for crap. I have a Lesco salt spreader which has the bigger opening too. I returned the pallet after the first snow.

10. leolkfrm

been working decent so far with temps above 20 degrees, not impressed with it under 20

11. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

Very true. Ive used several pallets of LavaMelt and it works wonders on sidewalks and steps. Not so great for lots because its so fine and doesnt stay around long. But all in all its a very fast melter.

12. road2damascus

Used evergreen a little bit more. Used at entrance of a private lane with a incline during negative degree weather. Only 25lbs. Melted with in 45minutes.

13. road2damascus

I have now used evergreen on walkways, private lanes, driveways and lots due to scarcity/high prices of bulk. Been wearing out my 110lb capacity spyker walkbehind spreader. Doing my lots with it too to save on salt.

I like the stuff. The grains are consistent which is great using a walkbehind. Spreads nice on lots and melts in sub zero temps.

Obviously the largest ingredient is salt. So I have found it a little damaging to materials like blue stone. Stains like salt. White residue like salt. May have to get out the vinegar and scrub some walkways this spring : (

14. leolkfrm

I found that mixing @ 10% cc gives much better result below 10 degrees...and the combination last through the day

15. road2damascus

What cc you using. I got peladow pellet and combo therm flake