1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ever use ford 8n tractors?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JMHConstruction, Sep 14, 2015.

1. JMHConstruction

JMHConstruction PlowSite.com Addict

I only do sidewalks but have to opportunity to get a massive "sidewalk" account (as big as some lots) and was thinking of getting bigger equipment if I take it. I can pick up an old ford 8n tractor for cheap with a rear plow. I grew up using my grandpa's old 8n so I'm really familiar with it. Has anyone ever used one in snow and if so how did the 2wd get along and how did it do as a whole? Was also thinking of a quad but I can get a bigger blade for the tractor, I'm more experienced on the tractor, and can get get it cheaper than the quad.

I don't have a ton to spend as I have already spent a chuck of change this year on other BS and do this only to keep myself and a few guys busy and keep paying bills through winter. I can pick up a tractor for $2000 or less. Also, does it look bad or unprofessional to be out on equipment from the 1950's?
    Thanks guys

2. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

Let me ask you this, in all honesty. Would you be willing to stake your biggest most valuable account or your entire business, on a 2k tractor from 1950?

I wouldn't even consider it.

3. maxwell

maxwell Member
    from nw ohio

ditto!!!!!!

4. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

They were the best invention after the horse, I will leave it at that.

5. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

It's ok if you're from the fifties (like many of us), but it will not look so good sporting equipment from the fifties.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Function before fashion.

no body cares what ya look like, its what the job looks like when your done that matters.

If it's in good condition, run it.

Plenty of farmers still use them every day/year.
    I use to rake hay with one.

7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Is that what your wife tells you? :eek::laughing::drinkup:

8. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Oh boy...looks like I mistakenly tee'ed that one up.

I was talking about mechanical equipment. :realmad:

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

And I hit it right out of the ballpark.

10. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

An 8N isn't worth today what it cost in the 50s

11. Randall Ave

Randall Ave PlowSite.com Addict

I have an 8N Golden Jubilee that I got and needs restoration. In the end it won't be worth what it will cost to restore it. And I can't imagine plowing with it.

12. maxwell

maxwell Member
    from nw ohio

An old 8N would be hard to start in the winter...no power steering.....no live lift....no heater. They are not very heavy so traction would be a problem and if they get traction then they don't have much power....etc...

13. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I think with the appropriate attire, the machine would be acceptable.

Operator would require a straw hat, blue jean coveralls and a corn straw to chew on while plowing the back 40.

14. JMHConstruction

What I was figuring with the tractor was why spend 10k+ IF this one for 2k will do what I need. I've seen online guys with pusher style plows instead of back drag that seemed to work great, but finding those plows are next to impossible. I was hoping to get some guys who have used them to give me the good/bad, but from the lack of "rush out and get it" comments I think it may be a bad idea. I think I'm going to let the property go and keep with what I'm able to do with what I have. I also am subbed out so investing in $$ equipment doesn't really pay off. Thanks for the help.

15. JMHConstruction

Yeah I was going to make sure all that came with the purchase or no deal! Too funny!

16. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

It doesn't need to be expensive to work.
    And do you have heated cans for your shovel monkeys and snow blower operators?

Ho no it's to co
    Cold with out a heated cab.......

17. BUFF

BUFF PlowSite Fanatic
    from FR NoCo

Before cabs people used Heat Housers http://www.burchmfg.com/ag_heat_houser/ford.htm

We had one for a JD60 and a JD4010, they worked very well and made spreading $h!t and running the loader not bad in the winter.

Every 8N I ever ran on snow was worthless if you didn't have wheel weights and chains, it'd slide around like a Hog on Ice......

18. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

"...........

19. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I guess some are going soft
    Heck the guy down the road sits out in the fresh air on his tractor,
    Blowing drives clear all morning
    He just waves as I drive by.:waving:
    We worked outside in the dead of winter without a windbreak all night long in -25*f.

And yes, it was up hill going both ways..

It's to cold...
    Then go to south beach:waving:

20. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

God I admire you...