1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ever think of hiring a sales guy?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by birddseedd, Nov 26, 2012.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

Ever think of hiring a sales guy?

i suck at sales...

thinking of doing it in the spring

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Only sales?

3. birddseedd

I'm thinking of hiring commission sales people to try to get new maintenance accounts. atm i dont have enough work to need hiring someone unless its a big landscape.

4. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

I have debated that all year long. i have a someone who has been in the turf/golf industry for years who lost his job and wanted to sell for me. just haven't been able to convince myself I can afford him...hopefully a great winter will make the decision easy,
    Steve

5. birddseedd

The way im thinking it would be fully commissioned. which that kind of sales job usually is. so thell get a chunk of the profit. but that chunk is from profits you wouldn't have without the sales guy.

but i dunno. would that really work in this industry?

6. WilliamOak

WilliamOak PlowSite.com Addict

From the sounds of it (other threads combined) you don't have enough profit to pay yourself enough let alone a sales guy.

7. birddseedd

Thus why i need to gain more customers

8. grandview

Great. So he goes and sells snowplowing for 12.50 an hr and keeps half. So now your working for below minimum wage.

9. birddseedd

10. grandview

And what would this salesperson make percent wise?

11. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Is this "sales guy" a full time employee? A decent salesman could probably sell enough work to overwhelm a one truck snowplowing operation in about two days... then what? You lay him off?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  12. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I've thought about it and I have a solution for you. Move to Ohio..and I mean ANYWHERE in Ohio and I could keep you and as many trucks as you can beg/borrow/steal busy. Sidewalk guys too. I will pay you $45 an hour,like you charge up there, and you dont have to worry about a sales guy cause I will be that guy. And you dont have to pay me a dime in commission!

Let me know

13. cda817

cda817 Senior Member

I agree unless you are already have additional employees and someone who would be capable of running another crew any decent salesman will unemployed in a week or so. Also the office work, i.e. bidding, contracts, and scheduling, and billing will require a full time office person to keep up with the salesman.

14. birddseedd

That is the kind of questions i started the thread to get answers for.

In my area you get about 25 cuts a year. at 30 bucks thats 750 a year for cutting. lets say another 400 for plowing we are up to $1150 per year for basic services.

at the moment my break even is at about 50 percent. would be better if i had a full route, but thats what im starting at. so 575 in net profits; which would go up every sale they make.

$575 doesnt leave much room. If i paid 25% that would be 287.5 leaving me 287.5 profit.

unless i retain the customer for the next year it might not be worth doing. but then again. thats 287 i wouldnt have.

now lets say i did have a full schedule and my breakeven was around 25 percent. Sales guy would earn 431.25 and i would make 431.25. that would be much more worth it.

what do you think?

15. grandview

So if salesman sells cutting/plowing for a yr,when does he get paid.Also your expenses so to high.

16. birddseedd

starting in the spring i could get as many as 4 crews going. would take a bit of work, but with a buddy of mine i could get it working.

but i think the real question is if you could actualy sell that many accounts that quickly in michigan. remember we have about the worse economy in all the nation. i know we have been the worse at various points.

as far as full time i guess that depends on how you look at it. alot of commission sales jobs are what you make them.

they would be paid strictly commission.

17. birddseedd

yes. but that is a percentage of gross, there are companies that pay dollar for dollar much more than i do, and some that pay a bit less than i do. my actual expenses arnt really that high, i jsut have only a handfull of clients which is my problem.

frankly that number would be much much better if the drought hadn't happened. my 800 per month customer turned into a 25 per month.

18. birddseedd

so what do you guys think? is paying 431.25 to gain 431.25 net profits worth getting me to where i want to be?

is it a bad idea overall?

or is there a better way?

19. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

I'd probably learn sales myself before I'd hire anyone to do it for me. If a guy gets me a $1000 job and I have to pay him $500 because he got it for me, then no that isn't worth it in my opinion.

20. birddseedd

It would only be 250 on a 1000 job. 25%.

problem for me is im not a carasmatic kinda guy. in fact i suck at sales. I can do customer service, operations the office and accounting side of things. iv just never been good at selling.

my buddy (who is willing to sell to people for me) on the other hand. you just look at him and start reaching for your wallet.

I'm just not a sales guy and that makes it hard to get a business going.