1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ever send a customer a link to a thread on this site?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by big acres, Jan 3, 2008.

1. big acres

big acres Senior Member

I have found a lot of great info on this site and I was curious if anyone has ever sent a customer a link to a thread on this site to settle a dispute?

One example is sno-farmer's recent post/poll about plowing over curbs. I am considering sending it to a customer to illustrate that though they may have had a plow service that plowed over curbs before, the industry standard by nearly 70% does not do this.

2. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

they will tell you they would find the other 30%. I don't think that polls here are very scientific.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

location, location, location,

I also stated that not at every account is it feasible to hop the curb.

but hey if it will help you to get an account go for it..:waving:

4. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

U sure u want the customers to know everything that goes on in this forum

5. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I don't think thats a good idea. They won't like the payuppayuppayuppayup signs or the stuff like "we'll hit them real good for the salting" "I quadruple the price of salt for my customers" just stuff like that. This is kind of an inside the industry forum if you ask me. lol.

P.S. I don't think they would like GV's "while you were out plowing I was....with your wife....com" or whatever it was I remember seeing a little while ago. haha

Last edited: Jan 3, 2008
  6. StoneDevil

StoneDevil Senior Member

:eek:
    keeping my eye on u , for now ;)
    prsport

7. merrimacmill

from MA

LOL, I hate when people think plow operators charge to much. So stuff spooks them easily. I tell them $125 an hour. I don't want them to see in other parts of the country getting $90 and stuff. lol

8. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

That's a popular wed site during the winter!:eek:

9. merrimacmill

from MA

I can imagine, I caught the girlfriend on it last winter :gunsfiring: lol just kidding of course. I just couldn't resist.

10. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Oh yeah, good points. We don't need them knowing all the ins and outs (pardon the pun about the wife thing) of this biz. Maybe a cut-n-paste of select portions of particular threads?

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

We could start a sticky for them to read. "What makes a good customer"

1. As your plow guy is plowing you should be standing there with the check.

2.The plow guy is always right.

Anything else?

12. merrimacmill

from MA

3. Don't call us to tell me that you need to go to work in 4 hours. We're doing our route and will be then as soon as we can.

4. DON'T tell me I missed a spot if theres one little 2 inch snow ball in the middle of your gravel driveway. I'm not going to be there all day chasing around little meat balls in a driveway that cannot be 100% clean since its gravel.

But I think that about covers it.

13. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

5. I wasn't there before 7am because there wasn't enough to plow before then, and as my grandfather used to say, "I can't plow before it snows!"

6. Yes I know the city plows have been by, but I don't sit in your neighborhood during the whole storm, so I will be there in a little bit.

14. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Ok, I did it. The plowing over curbs issue has been a sticky point with one of our new customers. I did a cut and paste of the poll results in a nice e-mail explaining that we fall into categories one and two. This shows that we follow the most common industry practice. No, the poll is not scientific, but it has responses from over 100 professionals.

PS. Since a few guys view this forum to be a secret society akin to the free-Masons, no where in my e-mail did I mention this site by name! - I just mentioned "popular industry website", so no need to burn my house down or steal my firstborn.

I'll let you all know if it helps the situation.

15. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

Why not just pass the info from the site to the customer yourself. The last thing we need are people that don't know what they are talking about arguing with us on the forum. Tell them it is from your "years of experience" and advice from other industry professionals. They don't need to know you learned it on here 5 minutes earlier. JMO

16. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Remember the car wash owner the Daveintoledo(sp?) helped out and gave a deal on doing his lot? Remember how that worked out? I dont think we need more customers on here.