1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ever see this happen??

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by ROsborne, Jan 4, 2010.

1. ROsborne

ROsborne Junior Member

Have you guys ever seen the pin that holds the plow to the tower just vanish and have this happen? This is on my 1yr old XT. Funny this is, I went through the plow not more than 2 weeks ago and everything was there.

2010-01-03 13[1].18.29.jpg

2010-01-03 13[1].18.43.jpg

2010-01-03 13[1].18.58.jpg

2010-01-03 13[1].19.10.jpg

2010-01-03 13[1].19.26.jpg

2. smokejmpr

smokejmpr Inactive

boss has a new updated pin instead of it using a cotter pin to hold it now has a bolt going threw it. Yes i have seen a few of the now you see now you don't plows. just finished fixing one on thursday. it looks like the only part you would need is the a frame and lift cylinder pin

3. nobullfrogs

nobullfrogs Junior Member

i had the same pin vanish a couple weeks ago. I noticed the plow started having a lot of side-to-side movement while doing a com. lot. caught it early and replaced. The Boss pin and cotter pin system isn't ideal...thats for sure. i haven't seen the new pin with bolt as of yet, but will definately be asking.

4. Koonta

Koonta Junior Member

One of mine fell out last year, replaced it with a bolt and lock nut.

5. smokejmpr

smokejmpr Inactive

the boss part number is msc04251 $12.31

6. nobullfrogs

nobullfrogs Junior Member

thanks smoke

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

This is the exact reason guys began welding the washers to the pins during new assembly to prevent the cotter pin from shearing off or working out (from improper assembly), thus allowing the pin to disappear. No reason to have a quick attach means when there's seldom a need to separate the push from from the lift tower anyway. And when the need does arise you simply cut the washer off.

8. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

The newer pivot pins are a much better design, We have always kept a close eye on the cotter pins to avoid the same awful situation...Sorry to see it happen to you ROsborne!

9. johnslawn

johnslawn Member
    from ma

Hate to see that happen. Guess I am going to replace that with a bolt and lock nut.

10. qualitylawn

qualitylawn Senior Member

I have a plow i bought this year, when did they update this? Guess i need to check

11. Deckscapes

Deckscapes Senior Member

The updated pivot pins started late last season, but many Boss Dealers still had (have) older plow box inventory which includes the pins with cotters... Highly recommend replacing to the new style or take B&B's advice and tack-weld on the large washer.

12. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

Kind of ironic that this was posted, when I unhooked my plow last week I looked it over & the pin was just about to fall out. I have noticed a lot of slop in the blade while tranporting & it seemed that the pin was actuially a little small for the holes. My plow is only 2 years old so the extra slop had me somewhat concerned. It looks liek a trip to my dealer is in teh works for the updated setup.

13. valpoguy

valpoguy Member

My new boss 8ft straight had that happen, luckily i had never plowed and was going about 1 mph at my office, I went to back up and thought the plow looked funny, went out and it was falling off the truck, so i got a jack and a screw driver, jammed it through and took it back to the dealer.

14. old skool

old skool Senior Member
    from NW IL

I got a new 8.2 V last year...Just went out to check...thankfully, I have the newer style keeper bolt, not the cotter pin.
    I just want to say....THANKS for all the great info on the site....Been very helpful!

15. roadfever2

roadfever2 Junior Member

The year I bought my 7'6" SD straight blade (2008) I had the same problem. Something just didn't feel right so I got out and looked things over. I should have looked closer. I finished up and looked again - no pin on the passenger side and a bent push frame end on the drivers side (and other minor damage). The "dealer" said Boss instructed them to do what they needed to in order to get the parts straightened back out so they used a portapower, some black touch-up paint and replaced the pin kit. All better....BULL! I contacted Boss directly and sent them pictures. Apparently the "dealer" never actually bothered to contact them. Boss immediately had a new push frame sent to the "dealer" and they replaced the damaged one - all under warranty - no charge. Boss did a great job handling everything - thumbs up! My local "dealer" on the other hand, well, word of mouth is a power thing and I'm spreading the word about their poor service every chance I get.
    Anyway, they replaced the pin kit with the old style. I picked up two of the new style kits and installed them myself - so far, so good.

Jon

IMG_0893 resize.JPG

IMG_0892 resize.JPG

16. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

yeah we just broke or lost one of those bolts last storm...... broke the lower knuckle off the hydraulic piston... got that welded and then replaced the pin.. NO bent beams or mounts though

17. CaptainSmokey

CaptainSmokey Senior Member

wel thanks everyone now i am glade i am gogin to the dealer i got my plow from tommaorw due to the face i have a leaking cylinder but also have a lot slop in the plow when transporting it. guess i have to have them ck everything out and hopfully thell be able to get it all fixed before the weekend! i hope,.

18. Quality SR

Quality SR PlowSite.com Addict

Ill have to check mine as well. I thought i looked over everything but never looked at them.

19. ROsborne

ROsborne Junior Member

Got it fixed. Got a new push frame but i did all the replacement myself. I also replaced the pins with grade 8 bolts and I did some "Improvement" on the push frame before I installed it. I Took 3/16 inch plate and welded it to double up the thickness of the push frame..

20. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Luckily when I got my plow kit to put together I was missing the washers and only had 1 pin. I called the dealer and he said that they had a better kit.
    He sent me the new style with a bolt thru the pin.
    I am glad he did now looking at those pictures!