1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

ever made a cover for your dump truck bed?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by elite1msmith, Nov 15, 2010.

1. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

yes im aware that tarps, when applied can work just fine, provided they are tied down and used correctly

i have a site that we will be parking a dump truck on. no skid on site. so how in the hek to get salt in the bed of the truck? for an under tailgate spreader

1st thought was liquid...and well i like the idea in theory, with the cost of salt down, dollar wise its a break even and it doesnt work in all situations

2nd thought. pre load the salt..which means it might have to sit in the bed for days at a time. and including while plowing and snowing -- obvious problem is it could freeze if it got wet

so if you had dry salt (which i can get) and could load it into the bed a day or two before...then you had made yoru self a niffty hinged cover for the bed of your 1 ton dump.... maybe even put a tarp over that.....what do you all think? worth the time? would it work

im thinking simple here, plywood on a hidge to a 2x10 that is on the side slots of the dump body. 1 on each side. then a tarp over the whole thing.
  2. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

No matter how tight I made the cover on my salt Dogg it seamed like just the cold wind getting under it would freeze the salt.

I hope that works for you. If not keep some liquid beat juice magic liquid or washer fluid handy.
  3. elite1msmith

from chicago

i figured that was gonna be the case, but i was also thinking that the v box, has many desing problems the least of which is the weight of the material on itself compacting in the "v" hopper.
  4. nicksplowing

nicksplowing PlowSite.com Addict

run your exhaust into the box .....use the heat to keep the salt dry or if it is frozen hopefully the heat would help thaw it.....kinda like the tri-axles do for haulin asphalt;)
  5. mrsnowman

mrsnowman Senior Member

interesting idea
  6. mattslawn

mattslawn Junior Member
    from Indiana

i would look into using a treated salt that wouldnt freeze up on you in the vbox
  7. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

not salt in there but still made a cover to keep it dry.

we took plastic conduit and bent into bows and they slid into holders we screwed to the side boards. then we threw a really heavy tarp over it and bungied the heck out of it.

hard to see but:
  8. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I am trying to figure out a way to make a cover for my truckcraft dump insert also. I was thinking maybe one of those buyers sphe 2000 unit tops with bungees may work on my insert. I just dont know how large they are and if they would fit over the sides of the unit. Any ideas throw them out there. Thanks
  9. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

My plan is to go to a place near my house and have them make a custom vinyl cover, similar to a toneau cover and use some schedule 20 pvc for supports.
  10. elite1msmith

from chicago

have you ever stored salt in there for a few days? how well did it work?
  11. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

go to an upholstery shop and have them make you a custom fit cover. did it for my salter, I keep treated salt in the hopper for 4 months straight. Only once did I have it freeze up with a junk load of salt I got.

I spec'd them using the same stuff they make semi-trailer covers out of. 100% weather-proof. very quick to put on with only two bungee cords. cost was $175 i think? best money I could spend on it.

found a thread with pics of my cover. http://www.plowsite.com/showpost.php?p=740683&postcount=1
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2010
  12. PTSolutions

PTSolutions PlowSite.com Addict

no we never had salt in there. just about 1ton of 57 stone up against the tailgate for ballast. just wanted to keep as much water out of there b/c it would rust to heck just sitting in there with wet gravel.