1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ever have this happen?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by jrm123180, Jan 29, 2006.

1. jrm123180

jrm123180 Senior Member

So I was out plowing on Monday in my 79K10. I began to feel a great deal of play in my steering....thought that the bolts on the steering box had come loose again. I stop at my parents to check on it and tighten the bolts and had discovered that one of the had broke right off. Fortunately I was able to fix it then.

A few days later I was driving it and noticed that there was still some play so I check the box again and it seemed to be fine. I thought while I was looking I would check on a crack in the frame that I had forgotten about. Well, that crack turned into a break in the frame.

Fortunately, a friend of mine is a welder and was able to straiten the break, weld it back to gather and then welded a piece of 1/4" steel about 6" long on either side of it. I don't think this will be a problem ever again. And, while he was at it, I had him tack my steering box in place in a few spots so that it won't come loose again.

Now, hopefully we get this storm on Tuesday because i'm all set for it....BRING IT ON.

~Steve

2. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

i had a box on my 92 last year that all 3 bolts holding it to the frame sheared. talk about a mess getting it back to the shop then getting the bolts out of it.

3. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

If your going to keep the truck get a brace kit. They make 2 kinds one is a plate you weld in on both sides of the frame rail, the other is a brace that goes from the box across to the front crossmember.
    www.offroaddesign.com sells them

4. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

this is the 2nd one I was talking about

steering brace.jpg

5. douglasl330

douglasl330 Senior Member

Very common problem in the older chevys--mostly just half ton/ blazer problem though!---did see it on a 3/4 ton , but it was lifted like 3/6 and was running 44's and hit something while the wheel was turned--Glad to see the trucks running and making money!!!11