1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ever have this happen to you?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Grn Mtn, Jan 27, 2005.

1. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

Okay so we've been slammed with snow this month payup 40"+, I'm not complaining about earning some needed money, but in the last week I've had very little sleep :sleeping: So last night..or was it the night before :confused: I'm pounding coffee, blasting the radio, window down, looking at the funny little red light up ahead, oh yeh, got to remember to push the snow away from the mail box at the next job, and remember to watch out for that damn curb that always gets me... :eek: Crap RED LIGHT, BUSY INTERSECTION, GOING WAY TO FAST. Two-Footed Anti-Lock Pushed-to-the-floor Braking, Drop the blade--Crap now I can't see, Double crap--coffee spilled...Do I have anymore cash to buy some more?...Slide into intersection, no cars thank you, Raise blade, Turn on wipers, Wipe snow off the drivers side door controls, Floor-It, Get to next job.

ooops, really got to work on that sleep thing, I hear it helps.
  2. SCBrown

SCBrown Junior Member

Yes it has. ;)
    Really wakes you up!
  3. leeddog65

leeddog65 Member

holY Cra&!!!! You somehow have insight into my litle world
    Did almost the exact thing. We should count our blessings.LOL
  4. L.I.Mike

L.I.Mike Senior Member

Nothing like the adrenaline rush that comes with doing that to keep you awake.
  5. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

similar story, although it was not while plowing. i was driving home one night from a friends house, it wasnt even ate, maybe 11pm or so. i started to nod off, off an on for a few mins, finally i thought i had it under control, but no, couple seconds and i ran my truck up onto the curb. woke up immediately and steered myself back on course. close call, and took me by surprise.
  6. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

anyone ever thought they put ther truck in park to shovel real quick ,only to jump out of the truck that is slowly moving still.
  7. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Not to shovel, but got out of the truck to look the lot over. Felt something brush my sleeve. Looked around to brush it away. Darn - it was the truck door I'd left open :( . Only moving about 1-2 mph, luckily.

The worst of it is that I've done it twice with the one ton and once with the half ton. :gunsfiring: Now I make a habit of putting on the emergency brake whenever I get out of the truck and leave it running. The one time with the half ton, it was in Reverse and backed onto my garage. Knocked the supports between the overhead doors off the foundation.
  8. faughtj

faughtj Member
    from NE Ohio

We've had at least three 24 hour + events in NE Ohio this season.. the guy I plow with, we do a factory that needs to be clean around the clock. I know I need sleep when I start to see faces in the snow piles. More than once it's like the contour of the stacked snow starts to look like faces.. especially baby faces.. I have a 1 year old so maybe she's just on my mind alot. The guy I plow with sees them too sometimes so I know (OK I think) I'm not going crazy. I'm usually good for the first 12 hrs, then get real tired, then get my second wind, plow some more then I start to see things. Never really caused a problem except it starts to freak you out @ 3 am!!
  9. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

BNC Had that happen for the first time last week, man I thought I had it in park.

Regards Mike
  10. simply green

simply green Junior Member

11. Ya, just last Saturday mourning about 5am, I was heading into town to check plow conditions out, went around the S curve, first part ok, second part, not so good :nono: . Tried to turn it, NO LUCK AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!! BRAKES=Not gonna stop, goin 30mph!!!!!!!!!!!! So, let off brakes and look ahead, was talkin on the phone to fellow plower, threw phone down, drive between a bilboard sign thats about 10 feet wide, (I have an 8.6 plow that was straight at the time) Once I made it through that, I slammed on the brakes after the plow is all sorts of bouncin off the ground, turned back to the road, and HAMMER DOWN THE #UCK outta there!!!!!!! Man, that was WAYYYYYYYY TOOO close for me. Don't wanna do that EVER again and I know the feeling that you guys were having. HAPPY PLOWING!!!!!! :waving:
  12. scuba875

scuba875 Senior Member

I have been so tired that I thought I saw a building in the middle of the road a few times. Locked up the breaks thinking I was going to hit it. I knew then it was time to pull over and get some sleep. I stopped about 50' from a stop sign thinking I was at the line and then went ahead only to realize at the intersection that I screwed up. I used to push my self all the time I try not to do it to much anymore.

POWERBAND Member

Driverless trucks

Those stories about leaving it in drive when you get out make me glad I only drive standard shift. Haven't had one dump the clutch without me yet.
    BUT, A friend told me he left his '04 Dodge in drive. It was driving off and he jumped in it at a good clip - thankfully without getting run dover. He found out later the doors lock themselves when the truck reaches abut 5 mph. What could you do then??!. Wave goodbye!

PB :rolleyes:
  14. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

Sleeping on autopilot

Ive' done this twice with plow, in same storm. I thought Fed Ex truck was, well, not in my lane. It was, and a car was coming from other direction (2 lane)! Between the tire squeal and the plow clanking on ground, he had to have seen it. I didn't get the luxury of watching though. Did stop in time though, or maybe the other car got by and I was ok, don't remember and don't care.

On way home later (1 hour drive home), was half in ditch and plow was strating to dig in. Still trying to figure out how it didn't get sucked in.

Pillow and blankets in back from now on.
  15. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

10hrs straight of plowing 12" of snow.....On my way home for a break, pull up to intersection left turn lane......light turns green for left turn :eek: I hear horn blowing !!!!! from my left...I see a car ZOOMING into the intersection...slam on the brakes & what do I see ??? The whites of HER !!!! eyes...BIG as silver dollars and SHE is staring :eek: right at the BIG RED plow coming at her !!!

She made it thru the intersection un-touched....somehow.

Oh ya....she was a Blonde ROFLMAO :drinkup:
  16. Nuttymopar

Nuttymopar Member
    from Vermont

I own a Carport supported by 3 posts. I pulled in to check on a few things with the plow on (just fits with little to spare). Driveway a little slippery and truck slide just a tad and the plow just touched one of the posts. Luckily, it just shook like hell and scraped off some paint on the post. Well, all done working on the plow and still had the wings out. Start to back up and in turning the truck I happen to look and DAMN, wing still out and I slam the brakes on. Plow comes resting up against the post without any slam but the wing was about 5" past the post. I can only imagine what damage that would've done if it hit full force. :cry:

Though it would give me a good excuse to build a garage. :eek:
  17. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn Senior Member

ALL THE TIME lol :rolleyes: