1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ever had this problem?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Ford.crazy, Feb 1, 2016.

1. Ford.crazy

Ford.crazy Junior Member

Finally had time to write and ask a question.
    We have a mixture of commercial and resi accounts. last week we were hammered with a 32+ snowfall in less then 24 hours. All our clients except for one was happy with our services.
    The one client that was not happy was a bar, by the time i made it to the lot there was 3 foot of snow in the lot plus drifting so probably more in spots. Well I couldn't back drag to move across the alley, as i was suppose to. So I chose to push it into one corner of their lot taking up 8 parking spots leaving about 30 spots open. My crew shoveled and snow blowed through 5 foot drifts against the building and all the side walks around the place. Needless to say it could open.
    Talked to the owners, told them I'll be there with loaders to move the snow as soon as i could get the loaders there as they are over 15 miles away working and only go about 15 mph top speed. Well after about 20 to 30 phone calls from this place complaining about it taking so long to get the loaders there and other businesses in the area are not plowed out yet and the employees are parking in their parking lot, because it's the only one opened up. I dropped them the last time they call yelling at my on the phone. I told them I'll bill them for what we did and they can get someone else, on the phone they agreed to it also.

My question is did I do the right thing?
    Did anyone else ever have a client like this and how did you handle it.

I'll also add, on my contract. There is a place that says, if a loader is required to remain on site, there is a retainer fee. They never asked for a loader to be onsite.
  2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

You did the right thing, they're morons.
  3. Aerospace Eng

Aerospace Eng Senior Member

X2, and I don't even plow professionally.

They were more plowed out than anyone else, which is why employees from other locations were parking there, and they are complaining?
  4. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Some would have given him a refund, becuse of the snow left in the lot.

While others bend over and take it,
    Saying, it's all aboot $$.

I would have told them to bugger-off too.
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  5. Mark Oomkes

6. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

sounds good to me too. Used to have something like that happen to me. Would have a church parking lot that would never have any cars in it until the township declares a snow emergency and then they would have everyone in the neighborhood park their cars there beyond capacity of the lot. They would park in the lanes and entrances too. Once the storm was over they would start complaining why the lot wasn't plowed. Like I couldn't even get into the lot to plow. Crazy thing was not one member of the church lived in the neighborhood.
  7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Should of told them your not a cop,call the police to have those cars removed. So you did your job but no else did theirs
  8. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree, I wouldn't be pisser about 8 spots taken up after a 3' snowfall, I'd be pissed employees of an adjacent business were in my parking lot
  9. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

Agree with Grandview. We had similar snow fall in the Baltimore area at the same time you had yours. I know what you went through. Sounds like you did the best job possible under the circumstances.
  10. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

You'd had a top 5 snow storm in history, and they were worried about 8 spots? I get cranky with people, I wouldn't have even offered a loader. I'd have told them to f off too.
  11. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Hopefully the OP had a "capable of 36" plowing sticker on his truck.
  12. Mark Oomkes

13. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Dude, you OK? I see you took time to regroup.

You must have been mentally and physically worn out from that historic event.
  14. grandview

He's never going to live that down,until someone else posts something different.
  15. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Well, he convinced me to buy the 2017 super duty, the unlimited package.

OP, you've done the right thing.
  16. Mark Oomkes

Yeah, but Birddseedd and mwarren have been banned, so it might be awhile.
  17. grandview

Want to give it a shot?
  18. Mark Oomkes

Nope, I'm already on thin ice.
  19. Freshwater

Freshwater Senior Member

In his defence it took a 30" historic blizzard to put him in that state of mind. Bird was like that all the time. I can't remember lettuce man being a jerk either.
  20. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Amen. Can't say I've had my brightest thoughts after being up for 2-3 days almost solid either.