1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ever Had a BOSS Freeze?

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by derekbroerse, Feb 18, 2006.

1. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

... plow #2 had ATF in it, looked clean so I didn't change it (didn't have time before anyways).

Dipstick was missing from the filler cap when I got it, no biggie, I plugged the open hole for the time being but I suspect a certain amount of moisture must have gotten in there.

Truck was sitting out in the driveway... thermometer is sitting around -10*

Truck started no problem, plow wouldn't raise, pivot, or anything!

I dragged it into the shop and put the diesel heaters to it to thaw it. Removed the cap, oil looked like Pepto Bismal. Drained it, cleaned some glop off the magnetic plug, pulled the screen from the valve block (though it was perfectly clean!), reassembled it and added proper plow oil.

All is well.

I don't recall ever hearing about anyone else's Boss plow freezing (hear it regularly about Meyers) and my other one never has, so all I can attribute it to is the bad fill cap/dipstick. Think I'll buy a new one this week... if it is available.
  2. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

Never heard of a BOSS freezing......:dizzy:
  3. ksland

ksland Senior Member
    from ma

Ummm, you have ATF in it duh.....

Put real plow fluid in it.
  4. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I've always used the "BLUE" plow fluid. Never had a problem with freezing in 20 years.

But....we don't get the -10 degree mark too often.
  5. derekbroerse

Ummm, it came that way, duh.....

I put proper plow fluid in it last night. :rolleyes:

For comparison though, my powerpack on the dump box says to use nothing but ATF. It is under the truck being constantly sprayed with water, and it has never frozen ever.
  6. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

HUMMMM!!! bad cap??? water??? frozen??? oil looked like Pepto Bismal!!! go figure.. lol:waving:
    I think you would have the same proubled no matter what fluid you used..:waving: Hydrlic oil & ATF will absorb moisture right out of the air too.
    But having a bad cap and having snow get in there will only lead to, well you know...
    I got a deal on some Boss fluid this year, so I used it. It was getting thick
    at -10 too and the plow was very slow at -20 this year. I'm going back to the blue stuff it flowed better at lower temps.
  7. derekbroerse

LOL yeah it was a real mystery what the problem was!!! :D More or less just sharing the story... its something new, not like a frozen Meyer or something!!! :jester:

Actually the hole in the cap is about 1/4" diameter, and the steel shield was always over it. When I got the plow I found it immediately and shoved a bolt with silicone in it to at least plug it, but who knows how long it was like that.

The stuff I put in was bright blue, and the label says it will flow to -60* so I figured it will do the trick nicely.
  8. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

you sure it was atf? boss fluid is red.
  9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

At least you didn't have to get a heater for it lol:drinkup:
    I'm going to drain my Boss fluid out this week and put the Blue stuff back in.
    The Boss was way to slow at -20 the other day. You could never go and clean up drifts when it's that cold out.
  10. derekbroerse

I honestly don't know... might have been. Its pink now :dizzy:

The local dealer sells these bottles of the blue stuff, recommended for all the major brands on the label... I suspect they buy a drum of the stuff and empty jugs. Works good, though the $30/gallon is a little pricey. Really makes me want to fix the leaky cylinder on my plow!! lol But that can wait until spring...
  11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Been using ATF in Boss and Monarch pumps for 20 years.
  12. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I had a brand new Boss freeze "ice" up this year, second plowing we did with it.

My other Boss did the same thing, but didn't blow the motor in that one.

We're running Amzoil ATF fluid right now, seeing how that works out.
  13. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Had to go out in -24 with -44 wind chill. Had no problem with my BOSS freezing.