1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ever Feel Like Like You're Trapped In A Blizzard?

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Allagash, Oct 2, 2005.

1. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

I don't want to start any wars here but.......I've been hanging around this site since last season when I bought my old plow truck and started my plow business and I've noticed that the guys who own Blizzard plows REALLY (no joke!) seem to like their Blizzard plows. Now that I've decided that I love plowing and am going to put a plow on my 2004 F350, I posted a question in a previous thread regarding which Boss plow would be right for my truck. In response, I got a lot of answers stating that I should buy a Blizzard. I have no problems with that whatsoever and will read any and all answers to my posts. But it also got me wondering, why Blizzard over Boss. I've got an open mind and If you guys can logically convince me that Blizzard is better, I'd buy one.
  2. snoking

snoking Senior Member

Neither one is "better". If your doing commercial then a blizzard would be good...and would stand up to whatever you could do with a boss vee. If you are also doing drives like we do around here with the same truck I would go boss. And i know you didnt say anything about a back blade but we use them and when you are doing a drive way the vee plow seems to stay out of the way better because the wing tuck back on both sides so it easier to make tight turns. If you want to get technical they are both a boss product just different generation....So is one better than the other yes....but when, depends on what your doing....
  3. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Yep, all depends on what kind of plowing you'll be doing. Most of the plow manufacturers are right up there with quality, each do have their own features which may benefit you more or less then the others. Personally I have Blizzard 760LT and like it a lot. Reason for going with the Blizzard was simply because the plow is lighter for my 1/2 ton, if I had a 3/4 ton I would have most likely went with the Boss V which would suite my type of plowing very well. So again it just depends on the type of plowing you plan on doing, and in some cases what truck you'll be using. Good luck with the decision, lots of good plows out there...just wish there was a guarantee that snow came with them as part of the deal. :)

4. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

I like the idea of a snow Guarantee

I agree they all make a good product.The Blizzard seems to be a better plow for large areas(Parking lots anything where you might leave a windrow) and the Vee would be great if you are opening camp roads etc..
  5. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

If you don't need the V for opening up roads then go with the Blizzard. That is the only area the V will out perform the blizzard 810 or 8611.
    I have a few long drives I do and just using it at the full expansed position it saves me another trip as at 10' wide it clears the whole thing one shot. In the scoop it moves tons of snow, although so will a V.
    If I was set on a V plow I would go Fisher though as personal preference
  6. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

If you prefer to make more money then get the Blizzard.
    If you plow fire roads and honestly need a V for breaking trail then get that.

My Blizzard is also an 8' straight blade, they seem to work very well for driveways.
    Also if your doing residential then for Boss V's you might as well get the dbl. acting cylinders for back dragging. Oh my goodness now your spending more for a V then the stock Blizzard 810.

If you talk to a lot of plowers they all have an opinion about the 810 power plow, weed threw the crap and find a guy who actually runs one or 2 or 3 and ask him (or her) what there thoughts are about running the different types.

I dont have experience yet with my 810 ( I think one storm will do). But after personally talking with (on the phone and in person) with guys from all over the country, I had one tell me not to get the 810. These guys I talked with are not pimple faced 16 year old kids hanging out in web sites either.
    All seasoned veterans who have owned and operated most brands of plows.
    The conclusion was if you need to be more efficient, holding your costs down then the Blizzard 810 (or 8611) power plow has no equal.

If your serious about buying PM me and we can talk on the phone. I can enlighten you on my Blizzard education.
    I too was a skeptic for a long time but now I have seen the light.
  7. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i would not recommend the blizzard and i do own one i would also not recommend the boss v for reasons stated before you can search the hole story and problems with the boss v if you would like i think hands down get the western v plow
  8. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I run the 810 and I have 1 season on it and it is the best plow out there for what I do. You will not see the full advantage until you run one.
  9. fulltiltwill

fulltiltwill Senior Member

I just joined this sight this year. I ran a Boss 8-2 V for a couple of seasons. I get on this sight and find out the problems I was having were pretty typical problems for the Boss. The boss is a good plow and I made alot of money with it. I just think if you are going with a V, I would research other brands. By the way I bought an 810 for this year. :bluebounc
  10. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Like T-Man said, if you want to make more money, buy the Blizzard. I can't speak directly about the 810, but I can about an 8611. We installed one on a 550 last year, clutch pump\central hydraulics--whatever you want to call it. This plow cut at least 1/3 the amount of time off the locations we plowed with it. Some places it cut more than that, but I will use that as a baseline. This is based on the plowing times of a 9'6" Fisher V.

Because of not only the additional 2 1/2', but with the ability to angle the forward wing and reduce\eliminate spilloff, dribbles, runoff; you are able to use more of the plow to actually windrow than a straight blade or a v-plow. The V-plows ability to windrow are even further reduced because of the hinge in the middle disrupting the rolling of the snow.

The Blizzard is heavy, so it will not ride up over snow as easily. The scraping\cleaning is far superior to any other pickup plow I have seen as well because of the weight. The downside to this is the edges wear quite quickly. We installed the urethane edge and now I am happier with the wear.

It is easier to plow along obstacles because of the additional width, you don't have to get as close with your truck, further reducing damage.

Easiest plow I have owned to hookup and unhook.

I can't comment on the electric pump, because we don't have it.

Negatives: 1) The plug should not be mounted\bolted to the truck. We had issues with it working loose just a little and the plow not working. Let it 'hang loose' with a zip tie to make sure it didn't drag, problem solved. 2) Scraper edge wore too fast, use urethane, IMO. 3) Large controller, we remove for the summer. 4) Takes some getting used to Up\Down\Float on the controller. The Up\Down is opposite of the other manufacturers but is consistent with heavy equipment.

I tried to find another 8611 in the middle of last winter after seeing what the first one did for our production, couldn't, lived with the Fisher. This year I am getting another 8611 for that truck and a 8611 LoPro for my new truck.

If you have further questions, you can PM me and I will be happy to try to help you out with your decision as well, if I can.

PS I have used just about all makes of plows--Boss extensively, Western, Meyer, Fisher just about as extensively as Boss, Polar, Monroe, Sno-King\Viking, Daniel's. I have also been plowing since I was 14 which was 22 years ago.
  11. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

I've been checking out Blizzard's website and I've got a couple of questions. Is the 810 an electric over hydraulic setup? Or does it run off a pump mounted to the engine? Do you guys prefer the rocker switch controls or the optional joystick? Are there any other accessories you recommend? That's pretty neat the way the ends of the plow retract and extend. Do all the 810's do this? What are you guys seeing for pricing on the 810. I live in RI but would drive anwhere in New England to have my plow installed as I know that the pricing would be more competitive in Maine or NH where they get more snow and have more dealers.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2005
  12. Allagash

Allagash Senior Member

Thanks for the advice. You make some interesting points...
  13. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Get the flap that Blizzard makes for it, inexpensive and not worth the hassle of making your own. We installed the urethane edge after wearing down the steel edge. I will do this on all future Blizzards.

I haven't used the rocker switch control, haven't heard much good about it. The joystick works very nicely.

All 810's and 8611's have the wings that extend and retract. Blizzard also makes straight blades and the Speedwing which has wings, but they do not retract, only angle as you angle the plow.

Electric over hydraulic. Ours is run by central hydraulics.
  14. CNYScapes

CNYScapes Senior Member

Go Blizzard

Ive been plowing 11 years and have owned fishers, Diamond, westerns. Last year I bought an 810 and was amazed at how much snow it moves in wide open lots. HANDS DOWN twice as productive as my old v-plow on wide open lots. Even when plowing close to buildings, the extended wings helps keep the snow in front of the blade and not up against the building. The plow also scrapes pavement clean, I think the extra weight keeps it from bouncing off the pavement when plowing at 20-25 mph. I will be replacing another one of my westerns with an 810 next week.
  15. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

And of course my choice is: