1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ever blown a lift cylinder? 8611LP

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by Raymond S., Jan 18, 2012.

1. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Plow starting responding very slow this morning about mid route. Wings eventually quit working and I was able to nurse it home by finishing up the route w/ it in straight blade (wow, sure don't miss those days.) I noticed it was leaking from the lift cylinder and was severely low on fluid. Upon further review, the end of the cylinder (towards the truck) was about 3/16" pushed out. I don't know if this is press fit or threaded as there was a hole in the side almost for a spanner wrench perhaps. I was lucky that my dealer had one in stock and we were able to change it out, problem solved. He didn't know why it would have been an issue. I am the owner and only operator and I am responsible when stacking, driving into piles, etc. Our snow today was a couple inches so there was no real slam-bammin' going on.

Any ideas? 2 yr old 8611LP PH2.

2. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Sounds like the end cap came loose and unscrewed. If thats what happened, all you need to do is tighten it up with a pipe wrench and you will now have a backup.

3. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

Damn...Now I know.

4. Jerre Heyer

Jerre Heyer Senior Member

Are seeing more and more PH2 plows with the end nut coming loose. They seem to be hitting full travel with the nut as the stop vs having some cushion area. If you're lucky and didn't damage the threads you can pull the nut out and clean it up with some break cleaner and then put a couple of good spots of RED loctite on it and put it back together.

Saw this on a limited amount of PH1 plows when the draw latch pins broke and it hit the nut for an extended period of time but seeing quite a few of the PH2's coming in.

As was said. Fix yours and put it on the shelf or put it back on and put the new one on Ebay/ craigs list as used.

J

5. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

I actually had the end if the cylinder snap off last season (thin end where the hole is drilled for the bolt.) I honestly don't stack snow with this. I'm the owner and am very cautious. I hadn't thought of it being related but you're saying I stripped the threads instead of breaking the end? Shouldn't there be a stop to keep the force off of the cylinder in an overextended position? This doesn't seem right to spend $6500 on a plow where it's so easy to have problems if you get into a pile and the blade raises more than you'd like. There's got to be a way to make a solid stop. Any ideas?