1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ever ask yourself.....?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MLI, Aug 17, 2003.

1. MLI

MLI Member
    from Boston

Is this really worth it?.........We make good $$ for what we do...approx 8 hrs plowing with 2 trucks at this point ......for a gross of $2465 for each round. Last yr we had a ton of snow...but in years past its unreliable. We bought a v-box to sand/salt...and thats picked up some more $$ on those icing events. With all the wear that takes place on plow trucks(30 k + to replace), the ulcers you get from plowing commercials the no sleep issues the night before from anxiety etc etc......have you asked yourself if this was all worth it? Whats your answers?:dizzy:

2. John Allin

John Allin PlowSite.com Addict

I have asked that question of myself from time to time.....

I always come up with the same answer... thus, we're still at it.

3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

John isn't it the truth after all the complaining ,anxiety and money we put into the equipment we still do it :D

4. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

People on this site might be a little prejudiced about that question :D

Its been worth it more this summer though since the words "seasonal contract have been introduced to many people thanks to last winter payup .

5. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

worth it

Good question you make some food for thought with it, however isnt it funny i tell myself this every year i spend so much time getting ready so many missed spring break vactions, being 24/7 from nov to april, well over a 1/4 million in equipment the nerves that tear your gut out during the big one the not knowing what might happen during the night , the fear of owning to much equipment and not knowing next month {sept}how many cust will or may go with a undercutting scum bag. The answer its in my blood i guess cause during the off season my batterys get recharged and has we speak iam so excited about the poss of this winter i feel like opening day of deer season inside only problem there is i havent been to deer camp in 15yrs cause of snow plowing but iam sure everyone here on this site is getting the itch no no not like butt itch the itch that comes soon the fall air that tells me to start getting plows and trucks hooked up making sure everything works. and the feeling of dropping that blade for the first time on a nice little three incher you know to get your boys all back in the groove kinda like a preseason football game. And another thing that i will add to my list this year will be talking with all of you on plowsite.

regards fred

6. wyldman

wyldman Member

I love it

I have been plowing for almost 20 years,and still love it as much as the day I started.We have mostly seasonal contracts,so the money is usually good,and steady.

I don't have to worry as much about trucks and equipment,as I also have a full time auto\truck repair shop,so repairs are cheap and downtime is kept to a bare minimum.I also have the ability to build\fabricate a lot of my own stuff,which saves $$$.

The wife,and the kids don't like it much,as they never get to see daddy much when it snows :(

I think I'm going to take a break for a few years,as I just sold off a large portion of my snow business.It will give me some more time with the kids for a few years,and I'll build things back up slowly.I don't think I'd ever be able to give it up completely.

7. CARDOCTOR

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

absolutly

i have a repair shop so when it snows were slow

it helps my kids have a better life
    braces,private school, glasses,dance class

couldnt do it without the extra income
    when they get older theyll be running a snow blower

cardoctor

8. szorno

szorno Senior Member

After 28 years I still look forward to the first plowable storm... or evenjust the first few flakes. We keep it simple, and do it on the side. Pays to keep 2 good 4x4's in the drive and Mommy home with the kids. Hope to make it pay for retirement in 5 or 6 years. I think controlled growth is the key to keeping your sanity.
    I just love a long push in 10 in of fresh fluffy at about 15 mph. Add the Top Gun soundtrack and I am in heaven.:angel:

9. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Is it worth it - oh yeah

Snow plowing, what an honorable profession. So many of you have spent your time getting ready for winter, new trucks, new plows, expanding your route, dropping your bad customers in favor of new ones, that has to be a labor of love. No one tells you to be out there. You go by choice.

Is there anything more beautiful than your town under a fresh blanket of snow? I don't think so.

Snow is the canvas of the plowman. Your plow is your paintbrush, and you have the opportunity every time it snows to create clean roads and parking lots, safe conditions for your community, and perhaps help out a fellow plowman who may have broken down.

Enjoy your role, you will remember each storm for the rest of your life.

10. 90plow

90plow Senior Member

Personally I think most of you are a little crazy :drinkup: just kiddin guys. I haven't done it long enough to say I know everything or know anyhing for that matter but I loved it from the first time I shoveled, to using the snowblower, jumping on my fourwheeler wiht the plow and clearing our driveway, to finally owning a truck wiht a plow I think I'll stick with it for a long time. Theres nothing like stacking a pile of the white stuff at the end of a pass.
    Eric

11. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

I don't consider myself to be an adrenalin junkie. I'm actually reserved in my everyday lifestyle. This has very much to do with the fact that I HATE letting someone down. I started pushing snow for extra income during the winter months to keep my lawn and landscape business afloat. It has turned into a monster!payup I get my adrenalin rush soon after the weatherman says SNOW. I enjoy the sheer magnitude of getting ready, performing and being able to see the fruits of my labor. Both monetarily and in the appreciation of my clients. It is hard and sometimes very dangerous work but I would not trade it for the world. Our region provides just enough to keep you going and still get in a vast difference of other projects through out the winter. It is very fulfilling to drop that blade the first time it snows and think this little thing I do will help change the lives of so many. It takes a certain type of person to put their life on hold to become tied down 24/7 during a storm. Actually If you think about it. You become a slave to your profession. My wife hates that we can not go anywhere during the winter months. She knows snow comes first! (she does not mind cashing those checks though!) I think I will do this till I can't see straight and even then I'll ride shotgun with some young buckaroo just for grins! Is it worth it? You bet!:salute:

12. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

A winter with out snow, would be like not breathing!

Glad we got a little snow last winter, I can't hold my breathe that long!

Rick

13. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

Chris

Wylman
    [Chris}
    just read your post kinda surprised me that you sold off some of the snow buss i mean i completly understand being around the kids more thats forsure this summer has changed me big time i left the dealership in april has you know and started pickering mobile auto full time my daughter who just turned 14 has been a big help this summer anwsering phones going on service calls i read your post last night and it made me think so hard that this summer is this first time in 14years that i have ever spent this much time with her i have spent so much time working the car repair and snow buss so that she can go to college of choice i forgot about being there to watch her grow up and ill tell you i think i messed up so iam taking full advange of these last 4yrs with her here so that we can be closer than ever. Anyway i know this is off topic but i do have great respect for you chris and hey i wish i would have thought your way 14 years ago i cant have those years back but i sure can control the next 4. I wish you the best and iam sure you have kept enough snow work to cover the itch of plowing , one thing my daughter has made very clear to me is one she wants the mustang convert next year and two she fully expects to plow for daddy before she goes off to college.

regards fred

14. Roger Dodger

Roger Dodger Senior Member
    from nw Pa.

Re: worth it

Dude, you need to get your priorities in order! When it comes to me and opening day of deer season, everything else is put on hold. I even plan to be late for my funeral, if need be. :angel:

15. wyldman

wyldman Member

Fred - I just needed a change,at least for a while.We had a very large number of big accts,and it was getting routine.They only wanted to purchase our large commmercial accounts and our big equipment.I'll still have some smaller commercial and a few residentials left over.

I am keeping two of my Dodge's (both 97 12 Valves),one of our full size Jimmy's,and two of our S10's.We will still have the cube vans for the sidewalk crews as well.The non-compete clause is very limited,so I can build the snow operations back up over the next few years if I want to.I am also looking at getting into either renovating and remodeling for resale,or becoming a custom home builder.

I'll have my oldest boy in university this year,and the other two boys in the next 2 or 3 years,so the extra money will get them through school,buy them some new cars,and pay off our mortgages.It will also give me some time to spend with the two girls,who always seem to get the short end of the stick,and never see me much,as they are usually in bed when I get home,and when I leave.

16. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

I thought sort of the same way, but when the geen rolls in it is well worth it.... No way would i quit doing it

Rick

17. meyer22288

meyer22288 Senior Member

My father has took me plowing since my very first winter. My father has been plowing since he could drive. Snowplowing is my favorit thing in the world. I will plow snow my hole life. I really enjoy learning about snowplows to and i enjoy the trucks that are used to plow the snow. I now get to plow some of our driveways and a few roads and my dad has taught me a lot. I also get to use my dads back hoe to do some snow removal and thats as fun as using the truck. Its really worth it! :)

18. KenP

KenP Senior Member

Let it snow, let it snow, let snow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Need I say more?payup

19. SIPLOWGUY

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

:nono: Every time I work a storm I tell my Wife I don't care if it ever snows again! But when I here snow in the forecast I get excited and hang the Fisher. My son is soon to be 10 and he asked me when I'm going to teach him the ropes and when is he getting his own truck. I knew he was a chip off the old block when he showed me his 3 Matchbox plow trucks lined up on his dresser ready for snow. I love Summer but I'm ready for green, uh, I mean white!:salute:

20. greenquestlawn

greenquestlawn Senior Member

If I could make as much and work as little as I do snowplowing I would do it in a heartbeat.......therefore I am still snowplowing.

:drinkup:

Drink up boys only a few more months.