1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Events with no needed service?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by FreshGrounder1, Nov 26, 2012.

1. FreshGrounder1

FreshGrounder1 Junior Member

Younger (yet experienced contrractor here), have targets and kohls in northern va. Whats the rule for annual contracts when it comes to send trucks out or not? Thanks
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

What did the agreement you signed say?
  3. John143

John143 Senior Member
    from NEPA PA

I think a NSP has the targets and kohls? Yes? No?
  4. FreshGrounder1

Target and Kohls are nationals around here anyway. Contract is "keep ice and snow free" lot 24/7. But what about the typical DC flakes with no accumulation on pavement? send 2 salters out for nothing? or is it worth having them see us out and ready?
  5. grandview

Pre treatment .Get salt down so it will might and make a brine out of the wet on the ground.This way it lowers the freezing temp.
  6. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

I'm shocked that you signed a contract, and even acquired these contracts without understanding the level of service (and cost) that is expected of you. I'm truly not trying to make an attack here or anything, so please don't take it the wrong way. I'm simply saying I'm very surprised that someone would do that.

But anyways, those lots should be clear 24/7 no matter what. If there is flakes flying, you need someone on site even if the loader is just idling while it builds. If you won't reach a plowable amount of snow during a small event, then salt the lots and make sure they see you there doing it. Stop in, shake hands with management and ask if everything's looking good, etc. These people are not property managers that understand the dynamics of snow management, and as a result they need lots of communication.

My point is, with these types of lots there is non of this "2 inch trigger" type of stuff that many are so used to.

Oh, and I'd suggest having the shovelers sweep the snow out from around the base of the red balls they have out front. Thumbs Up
  7. FreshGrounder1

i do sit on lots with even minutes of wet snow thats not sticking, Went through about 15 tons of salt last winter with only 2 in of total snowfall here in DC area.
    Just always feel Im the only one out there for these "flakes" !!!!
  8. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Aren't the phantom snows the only way to money on.these accounts anyway?
  9. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

I'm with merric. And GV.

And if it doesn't need servicing, is it really an event? Sort of an oxymoron, isn't it?
  10. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Read your contract carefully, then read it again. You need to know the specifics.
    I have a 3 acre lot for a NSP. First year working for them. My contract says it has a 1" trigger. It aslo says they strive to have the lot down to blacktop. It also states that when a Snow Event or Ice Event starts, you are to have equipment on site the duration of the storm to achieve bare pavement. Here's how I am handling it.

There are 3 tenants on this property. I spoke with a manager from each store, gave them my card, and said if you need anything, call my cell. (most important thing you can do) You don't want your stores calling the NSP saying " my lot is a mess". At the end of the day, my customers are the stores I'm clearing the lot and walks for, not the NSP.

I will not plow until there is 1" on the ground, as per the contract. We had 1/4 inch of snow on Saturday, and I salted because of ice under the snow. Not only for liability purposes, but I don't want the stores calling the NSP saying I am not doing my job.

I will not put trucks on site to "make it look good". I was hired to service the lot and walks. As long as the tenants are happy, the NSP is happy, and you will be happy when they mail the check. Thumbs Up
  11. grandview

Typing to fast again.Should be "get salt down so it will melt"
  12. BigBoyPlowin

BigBoyPlowin Senior Member

It really depends... If they're just farts from the sky that last for 2 seconds... do you really need to salt? Probably not... But we personally put down Liquid CC which will cover us in these types of events. Even when the liquid CC "dries" the residue will stay and block/ melt any flurries that do come down... In any event its nice to have one camera or spotter who will check the site for current conditions. No way, unless these guys are on salary should they be coming in and checking with 2 salt trucks.
  13. leolkfrm

leolkfrm PlowSite.com Addict

they are big on no ice in front of the doors and handicap areas, if the store has the concrete area in front of the doors keep an eye on it as it seems to freeze before the lots