1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Event Pricing Question

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by bristolturf, Sep 26, 2010.

1. bristolturf

bristolturf Senior Member

Alrighty so I am putting out some bids for per event plowing and they are for places such as nursing homes, banks, and restaurants. My triggers are 1-4 4.1-7 7.1-10 and 10+ My question is how do you account for "patrolling" during snow events. Keeping drive lanes, parking lanes, entrances, etc. open during the day. Do you bill that separate at an hourly rate? And do you use a 1 hour minimum for that or just bill it at the actual time? Then bill your final clean up for the amount on the ground at the time of the final push?

Example lets say im getting $60/hour for my truck and we get a 7" snow fall starting at 2pm and ending at 12. Hours of operation are until 6 pm. From that 2-6pm you make 3 runs just clearing the entrance's and keeping lanes open. each time your there for 20 minutes. Would you bill that at 3 hours because you use a minimum of 1 hour for that machine/truck or would you bill it at $60/hour for the actual time you were there. Then when you get there at 1 or 2 am and do your final push and clean up bill them at the 4.1-7 inch amount?
  2. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

First of all...I think your depth are to far spread, and should read more like 1-3,3.1-5,5.1-7.7.-9,9-12,>12.
    Second..Why would you try to bill out hourly when your doing "per event"?

The whole purpose of per event is that the client knows what they will be charged for a certain snowfall amount during any storm...so If you get 7 inches..you bill out the 7 inch amount "no matter however many times is necessary" to keep that place looking good in accordance to the Trigger rate...

So if you get 7 inches during operating hours of the store...you would have to make a few runs there and then clean up...but if you got 7 inches...staring when the store closed and ending at 4am...you could push the lot just once...be done with it...and bill out the entire 7inch rate.
  3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Keeping an eye on things is part of our duties. Sometimes going to check out a property and dropping the blade for 5 mins is a way to keep a customer happy. Typically how it snows here, we get lots cleared in time with no need to return aside from those not so often all day storms. My contracts note 50% for returned or cleanup visits for such occourances. Same goes for those late snows when cars are in the way, etc.

But I suppose it depends on the situation. If it's a $200 push on a 2 hour lot and all you do is go there for a half hour to do drives and entrances, charge say $50. It's your game, just be creative.......but not greedy ;)
  4. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I kind of agree with the above two comments. However, if you are billing per event, and don't have any extra clauses built into your contract, then my feelings are, you don't charge any extra. It's not like its costing you an arm and a leg. Think of it as you give a little, the customer gives a little, and everyone is happy. If you are only there for a little while but charge out 1 hour miniums, then turn around and charge them for the full event price on another trip after the storm, I would venture to say this is the last contract you will have with them.
  5. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I usually give them an hourly rate with a minimum of $50 for clearing driving lanes/entrances. It just depends on what you think is fair to both you and them. I mean, you gotta remember, you have to pay someone (yourself or worker) to go and plow their location, and be in the truck during a snow storm. If I have someone working for me, the truck needs to be always making me money.