1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Even the junk man wants in!!!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Scott's, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

A local junk man who deals in scrap and has a little car lot with cars he buys for scrap is now in the snow removal business. lmmfao this is getting to funny

[​IMG]

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Nice,
    I just got a call back from a company that wanted me to bid on 6 properties. They were anywhere from 30K sg ft to 65K Sq Ft. I sent over my bid and it was put together perfect. The manager said my bid proposals was the best put together one they received. My numbers sounded fair and my references spoke very highly of me. But he said I just found out that each store has a budget of only $115.00 per plow and salt and that we cant go over that number. He said they are asking for top notch service at lowball prices. He told me that just 5 minutes ago. He apologized to me for wasting my time as he knows the lots should go for a lot more. He just said we get these bids by guys throwing a plow on there truck and they see that and they set the budget so low that repettable companies dont have a chance. I told him thank you for the opportunity and maybe sometime in the future we can work something out. And the thing is that the 30 k lot and the 65 K lots are both getting plowed and salted for $115.00. I just dont know how these guys are making any money. And the thing is he said if the lots dont get cleared he is the one that gets in trouble, but he knows from experience that for that amount of money that he is not going to get reliable service. I am at a loss for words now:help:Sorry for hijacking the thread.

3. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

One more thing. Just got an email back from another property.A small truck distribution center. Last year this property went for $13,900 icluding tax for plowing, shoveling walks, calcium on walks and salting the lot. the lot is 95000 sq ft and there is about 1850 sqft of walks. So the realty company told me I was 3rd lowest out of 6 companies who submitted bids. I did not get the bid and I asked her what my percantage was from the lowest bid. I was 20 and 30% higher then the two lower bids. So I bid it out at $14,400 with tax for the season and got beat by over $4320. The company is doing it for $10,080 for unlimited plowing and salting, After taxes that comes down to $9400 and that is not even including labor, insurance, salt, gas. I just dont know how they are making money. And this place needs to stay clean and bare pavement at all times. These lowballers are killing me today. Some guy is at home celebrating that he received this job until spring comes around and realizes he just got taken,

4. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I hear ya! Its everywhere this year. A guy I know keeps telling me just wait it will turn around. Yeah thats great in theory but i'll be broke waiting. As much as I love plowing/lawn care and everything I'm really thinking if its worth it any more. I AM SO SICK AND TIRED OF HEARING "THE COMPANY WE HAD LAST YEAR DID A TERRIBLE JOB" then to find out they dont want to spend more money to get it done right. People have gone way past nuckinfuts. This is the ONLY business I know of that the prices go down every year and people cant spend a few extra bucks to have it done right every couple years WTF! I say we all go on strike once in a while,lol

5. bsuds

bsuds Senior Member

I'm not running into any lowballers out here in coloradofor snow removal, but what I am running into are landscaping lowballers. I'm quoting fair prices for leaf removal,and the home owner tells me that they have 3guys coming to do it for 80 bucks. How the hell can you pay 3 guys to do a clean up for 80 bucks and make a profit? What the fuc.

6. Bigcat99

Bigcat99 Senior Member

Ah, you pay the help with rice and beans! Those illegals WORK FOR CHEAP!

7. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Lost a bigger association this week and had opportunity to replace come in the form of a last minute presentation to another board last night. I bid over 10% below our standard and didn't dare go much more.

They had nothing good to say about current vendor who was 17% below. I gave a powerpoint presentation. Retired fortune 500 exec on board said if his former company was choosing we would have won hands down. They choose a guy who was 22% below our already discounted bid.

Even the guy who got it was surprised after seeing the very end of my presenation through the window.

8. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

That says it all. The sad part is how many are on this site reading what we post and lol'ing. Thing is if they dont make it(low ballers) then back to McDonald's salting fries. There is a few lots I lost that I'm going to keep an eye on as I plow everything around them and lost them to being under cut.

9. RODHALL

RODHALL Senior Member

You all are joking.... Right?

The junk man more then likely has more insurance then you do, and if it breaks he can fix it.

I run both an auto repair and plowing out of the same space.
    I know we have to have 750,000 Per accident covrage, to keep our Commercial repair/towing tags, and we have to be Licensed & Bonded....

10. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

No Im not joking..... I may be wrong but junk ins is not the same as plow ins. if you do not have "plowing" ins then you are not covered while you are plowing.

11. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Maybe the junk men in you neck of the woods but not here. The guys here drive old worn out 70's pickups that barely run. Alot of them are not even registered, lights don't work, etc. Do you think that they care about insurance, bah.:laughing:

12. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

It's gonna be a winter full of lowballers and lowballing- just have to take it in stride I guess....I already lost 3 drives to lowballers- guys plowing (and shoveling the walks) for $25 where I'd charge $50 at least- can't compete with that....

13. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

How do you know they arent ins for plowing? all it takes is a phone call to add it.

14. Scott's

Scott's Senior Member

Ya but then what do they do when the bill comes in?

15. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Why not?

The mail man was getting into it after stealing everybody's fliers yesterday, so why not the junk man?

Pretty soon, plumbers and electricians will be plowing.

No, wait a minute, they know what their time is worth and charge accordingly.

16. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I'm a junk man (although I don't meet the state definition for operating a junk yard). I was a plow guy first, though. So, I guess the junk men could say "Even the plow guys are wanting in". It's harder to get insured and costs more for junk than plowing. But, yes, plowing is an "add-on" for GL.

It depends on the state, but in Maine a junk yard permit/license is for storing more than three unregistered cars at any one time. No cars - no license.

17. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

thats cuz we're all making millions and getting rich quick in the snow biz :laughing:

18. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

hey im a plumber :realmad: but im out of work so i guess my time cant be worth too much these days :help:

19. APLC

APLC Senior Member

what I have came across is these company's are trying to penny pinch us to death and the guys that do the good job and charge accordingly don't get the work, but this (JOE BLOW) around the corner that sucks,does not pay taxes, has no insurance, and only does this part time to get by gets all the work:gunsfiring:

Hope it does turn around in the mean time fellas we have to stay strong ussmileyflag

20. BigLou80

BigLou80 Senior Member

HOA's are the wrost, I lost a 30 or 40 unit deck job at the begining of last summer. The guy who got it beat my price which was already the 2nd lowest(my gram lives there) by $22K or about 18%. He also speced and used a more expensive design/material then I did. I told them that he didn't have Workers Comp insurance and they didn't care his price was lower