1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Even My Dentist is Moonlighting as a Snowplower !! (and othe misc.pictures)

Discussion in 'Storm Pictures' started by Alaska Boss, Jan 10, 2009.

1. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

Well, it warmed up to -38° today, so I decided to make a run down to Valdez & have some dental work done,... and low & behold, my dentist has converted his truck into a tracked plow truck!! Valdez hasn't had hardly any snow in a month now, and even tho it may seem like there's huge snow piles everywhere, this is below average for this point in the winter,.. there could be almost twice this much!! My dentist told me business is so slow, he decided to supplement his income with a little snowplowing on the side. So, here's what all my root canals are buying him,... haha payup

V 3 (Small).JPG

2. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

He said it works great,... much more traction than snow tires,... plus now he can just drive right up on his piles & keep ramping them higher & higher,... and he said it drives down the highway @ 40 mph no problem, although that's not what you want to do all the time,.... guess he just uses a pickup load of snow for ballast,...

(not sure what the deal is with the "custom exhaust stack",... :dizzy:)

V 1 (Small).JPG

V 2 (Small).JPG

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009
  3. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

So, after he got done with his semi-annual torture routine, I drove around town & snapped a few pictures of life & snow conditions in Valdez, Alaska in early January,....

V 4 (Small).JPG

V 6 (Small).JPG

4. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Because of being right next to the ocean, all the snow & piles around here are as hard as a rock,... (due to freeze-thaw cycles & occ rain/snow mix)

V 7 (Small).JPG

V 8 (Small).JPG

5. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

So far, there's no problem with room to store & stack snow,... but there could be more than twice this much still to come yet before spring,...

V 5 (Small).JPG

V 10 (Small).JPG

6. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Many of the regular storage lots and street ends aren't even half full yet,...

V 9 (Small).JPG

V 11 (Small).JPG

7. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

People have their skid steers chained up & ready to go all over the place,... this Case 1840 is just like mine,... lots of folks will do their neighbors, etc. for beer money,... (lowballers no matter where you go,... :realmad:) :D:D

V 12 (Small).JPG

V 13 (Small).JPG

8. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Some are older, some are newer,... but one thing for sure,... you can count more skid steers than pickup plows around here.....

V 14 (Small).JPG

V 15 (Small).JPG

V 16 (Small).JPG

9. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

The harbormaster uses smaller Bobcats that fit on the docks, and one of them as a salter/sander unit on it too,... in the summer they fit sweeper attachments on them....

V 17 (Small).JPG

10. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Even tho the temperature was about +5° above, it was quite windy,... but still seemed like spring-like weather to me,... :p

V 21 (Small).JPG

V 18 (Small).JPG

11. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

A couple extra DOT loader buckets & pushers, and a reserve sand shed

V 19 (Small).JPG

V 20 (Small).JPG

12. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Left town about 3:30 in the afternoon, and as the sun was setting, the moon came up,.... and, of course, the waterfalls have stopped and are resting for a few more months,.... ;)

V 22 (Small).JPG

V 25 (Small).JPG

V 24 (Small).JPG

13. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Up toward the top of the pass, the winds had been gusting about 75mph, and apparently blew an empty tanker truck over on it's side,... :dizzy:

V 27 (Small).JPG

V 26 (Small).JPG

14. Alaska Boss

from Alaska

Before 4pm, the moon was out in full, the sun was gone for another day,... and soon I was back in -40° weather again,... but they say it will get warmer in May,... we'll see,... :salute:

V 23 (Small).JPG

V 28 (Small).JPG

15. Humvee27

Humvee27 Senior Member

As usual, awesome pics....thanks. Your dentist has a nice ride there....I've been kicking around the idea of tracks for the atv for hauling wood out of yards and not wanting to rut it up too bad....we'll see.

16. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Yes, great pics. I bet the exhaust is placed like that for that extreme stacking he is able to do. Backing down a pile,as icy as you say they get, would likely rip the exhaust off (see the right rocker panel for proof). It seems to be tucked in pretty tight to the track and fender.

17. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Can always count on you for great pics as usual. :salute:

18. Dan85

Dan85 Senior Member

Awesome pictures!

19. FORDV10

FORDV10 Member
    from CT.

Great pic's...Now that is a snow pile

20. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict