1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Evaluating Truck Options

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by echeandia, Dec 25, 2009.

1. echeandia

echeandia Junior Member

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to expand my truck fleet next season and purchase a Ford F550 landscape truck. The truck will mainly be used for our landscape install work. At the same time I am considering offering snow removal service next winter. My question is do I need the truck to have 4wd in order to plow snow with it? We are located in Northern Virginia and when it snows it is usually 2 to 10 inches. However, we still have clearing going on from the 22 inches of snow we got last week.

Thanks

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

If you load down a 2wd real heavy on the back end you can do ok most of the time but heaven forbid you get a big snowfall or a lot of ice cause you will have a real bad time. Nothing worse than wasting time and money shoveling or waiting for a tug. Being a dually will make you even more likely to get stuck, as the extra set of tires really spreads out the weight on the rear end.

3. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

You don't say if you're goping to do flat parking lots/driveways or maybe steep driveways.Last I remember,you have some pretty serious molehills:D there in Virginny.So I would say absolutely yes to 4x4 if it's the latter,still yes and a good idea if it's both,but you probably could get by if it's all flat work.Remember too though,there will be more wear and tear on your drivetrain with just 2 wheel drive.

4. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

Go for the 4x4. That way you dont have to worry about it.

5. bob00

bob00 Senior Member

4 x 4 cost more to buy but wil keep a bether value over the years if you wants to get rid of it one day,
    and your sure to never got stuck ( if you put a good driver on it )

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If this is your first/only plowtruck, then 4x4 for sure.....

7. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

WELCOME TO THE SITE....This will for sure start a war again....:laughing:...Now whats the plan for jobs wise are you going to be plowing parking lots, driveways .or roads....are you going to run a sander on it.....You do not need 4wd to plow lots or roads period but if you plan on plowing big a s s driveways on hills it would be a good idea....Remeber this you need weight to move weight wesport

8. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

A good driver will not get stuck in 2wd

9. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

I can hear it now. Dam, I should have gotten the 4WD. Too Late.

10. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

That is a BIG ASS truck for driveways

11. TommyMac

TommyMac Senior Member

Thats what I was thinking....To each his own....I plowed my driveway in a 450, that was kinda a b i t c h

12. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

And a bad driver will get stuck in 4wd. Even a good driver can get stuck in 4wd sometimes. I know from experience :D

I do drives with an ECLB. You get used to it.

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

That's not exactly true. If you carry enough weight - such as a loaded spreader - the weight per tire can be just as high as a single wheel.

14. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Woah, seems like your heads a little big! :laughing:

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

It's OK. After correcting Crete's math the other day I had to install bigger doors in the house.

Like my new sig quote :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

Last edited: Dec 26, 2009
  16. SuperdutyShane

SuperdutyShane PlowSite.com Addict

Hahaha!

Yeah, that sig quote is pretty good ;) :laughing:

17. jomofo

jomofo Senior Member

Except that if you had that same weight over a SRW, you'd have twice the PSI as the dually. Regardless of how much weight you put in the back, the psi will be halved by running a DRW. So, in effect, you're burning a lot less fuel and putting a lot less load on the rear suspension to achieve the same traction by running the SRW.