1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ethical question

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sschario, Jan 29, 2003.

1. sschario

sschario Member

This morning I was out in my truck subbing for a rather large company and a lady approaches me at one of their accounts. She said that the cleaning guy told her that a grocery store down the street is looking for someone to take care of their lot and that I should contact them.

So there's the question: do I need to turn this over to the company I was subbing for or can I take at shot at it myself?

First and foremost, I want to be fair and not make enemies. This would be huge for me and could really get me going good.

2. wyldman

wyldman Member

Well if it was someone from one of his acct's,I would only assume she thought you were an employee or representative of the company,who would pass it on,so the company would have the option to pursue it further.

Do you have a non-compete clause in your contract ? Even if you don't it's common courtesy to pass along any leads or referals to the company your subbing for.Would you want your employees taking your business ?

We have a written agreement for all our subs,and employees that anything they come across while they are working for us,is ours.We will pay them a finder fee or percentage if they bring in any new work.Maybe the company your subbing for will do the same ?
  3. DanG

DanG Senior Member

If the subbing you do is a regular thing then i would mention it to them.

Lots of company's have no compete clauses for their workers/subs.(I do for both my lawn service and for snow removal)
    Let them know about it & if they don't want to do it and have no problem with you taking it then i'd say to go for it.

But only if it doesn't conflict with what they hired you for in the first place.

4. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

If you were subbing for another company at the time, its only fair that you pass the referral on to them. Who knows, by being honest they might just tell you to persue the job yourself if they are too busy:drinkup:
  5. sschario

sschario Member

That's pretty much what I was thinking. Just wanted to get another opinion or two. I have passed it along.

6. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 Member

pass the lead along...their account, their lead. if it was my company, and you told me about the lead, i would let you pursue if i had a lot on my plate.

good luck:)
  7. drobson

drobson Senior Member

Yes, ethically you should let the other company know because you were working as an agent of that company. As already mentioned, they may not even be interested in the job or may tell you that you can feel free to bid on it as well.
  8. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

My opinion, your working for his company, tell him about it. Like mentioned before, he may not be interested, and tell you to pursue it yourself.

9. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

You did the right thing. I had a friend who I subbed occassionally for tree work. I had him on a job and was out back doing the final walk around. When I came back out front, he was talking to a neighbor and shooed her away when he saw me. He wouldn't say what she wanted, but later that night called to subcontract me on a job across the street from where we were working. That was the end of both our professional and social relationship.