1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Ethanol free gas

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by grandview, Nov 29, 2012.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

There is a station that sells it near me. Costs about .30 more a gallon. Think if I use it I'll get more power and mileage from it?

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

If you buy diesel for it you'll get the performance of a

3. crazyboy

crazyboy Senior Member
    from NJ

Use it in small engines!

4. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Shouldn't ethanol free gas be cheaper, at least in theory anyway? I remember gas was a hell of a lot cheaper before they started mixing ethanol into it.

5. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Gas in our state comes with the ethanol blended right in, no extra charge.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Power in a Ford gasser? hmmmm...

Seriously.....have you been tracking your economy so far on the blended? If you have a few tanks of solid consistent data try a few tanks of the non ethanol flavor. Ten percent improvement is better than breaking even at todays prices.

7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

airplanes and older boat motorsThumbs Up

8. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

Our Fastrac convenience store has ethanol free premium. I use it in all my lawn and garden engines, chain saws, and the boat.
    I don't know if it really makes any difference in the truck, and at 12 mpg, I'm not interested in paying the higher price without some noticeable benefit.

9. grandview

Same here. But they it sell for boats and stuff. Just wondering if it worth it. To fill up my truck the difference would be 9.00 more.

10. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

I started running 91 Octane a while ago (ethanol free). I found that my gas mileage increased,on average, 1.5mpg. I also noticed a difference in power off the line. My wife even mentioned the difference! With the added cost you might break even but that's fine with me. As long as I'm not using the government subsidized ethanol that has been shoved down our throats (or tanks)! Without tax payer help, ethanol gas would cost more than diesel and therefore would more than likely not exist!

11. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Ethyl alcohol stores approximately 90% as much energy as pure gasoline. At a 10% blend, your blended fuel will store 99% as much energy as pure gasoline. At best, it will give you a fuel consumption loss of 1%. Power will be unaffected because the fuel injectors will provide marginally more fuel to compensate.

There are a lot of people misreporting that ethyl alcohol blended fuels will cause up to a 10% loss in fuel economy, but it is only true that WINTER gas will have this effect. There is a lot more to winter gas than just the ethyl alcohol, and it has been this way for a lot longer than fuels have been supplied with alcohol.

Specifically, because the winter is cold, the fuels are mixed in a way to increase the vapor pressure (make cold starts easier). Cold = low pressure, so the objective is to raise the vapor pressure of COLD winter gas to be equal to warm summer gas. This is achieved by reducing the average length of the hydrocarbon chains used in the fuel. There will be, for example, more butane added. The shorter the hydrocarbon chain, the more volatile the fluid is, and the less ENERGY it stores.

Regardless of mixed in alcohol, winter gas will cause a fairly significant hit in fuel consumption.

12. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

I don't know much about your engine, but some engines will alter their timing to compensate or low octane fuels. If your engine was designed to run 91 octane fuel, then it could be going into delayed ignition mode when you run it on 87. This would cause an increase in fuel consumption.

13. blueline38

blueline38 Senior Member

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/ethanol.shtml

I'm not looking to start an argument but I can provide numerous links that cite ethanol lowers mpg's! Gallon for gallon, you will get less mileage with even a 10% blend!

14. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

10% is ten percent. Doesn't matter if your baseline is 6 mpg or 60 km/liter

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Conner/Tatra?

16. grandview

All I wanted to know was yes,or no.

17. fireside

fireside Senior Member

In ny you can buy that gas at an pump? In ct it's not legal to do so. you can only buy it in pails it runs around $73 per 5 gallon pail. I wish you could buy it that way in ct the new gas is very hard on smalll engines.

to answer your question if the truck is pre 07 yes you will get better MPG on the ethonal free the new trucks engine were designed to run on it per the EPA. As for the studies you can find them that will read both way's it all depends on who funded the study and there interests on the subject!!!

18. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

Ethanol free 91 octane is 40 cents a gallon more than blended 87 here at Fastrac. $4.25 a gallon.

19. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

One US gallon of gasoline contains 114,000 BTU of energy; depending on the time of year, and depending on what is in the gasoline. It is getting harder to find gasoline's that does not contain 5 to 10% of Ethanol. Ethanol is ethyl alcohol; the kind of alcohol in beverages; beer, whiskey, bourbon, vodka, cocktails, etc.. It takes one and a half US gallons of ethanol to equal the energy in one US gallon of gasoline; the reason... because ethanol only has 76,100 BTU's of energy per gallon. Less energy means less miles per gallon. It is the BTUs that allows us to get the best fuel economy. Adding alcohol, of any kind, to gasoline, dilutes the fuel and lowers the heat energy.

20. camp61

camp61 Member

Grandview, did you really think you'd get a "yes or no" here! LOL ussmileyflag