1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

estimating software

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by forestfireguy, Aug 1, 2007.

1. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Has anyone ever used this software, I watched the demo and wonder if it's worth it, it looks like the reports might be nice as well as the calculator. have you had any expierience with this stuff, if so please comment, good or bad.

www.lawnandlandscape.com/store

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

I personally would stay away from it. Far, far away. Someone I know who is very reliable said that it leaves quite a bit to be desired--like money.

3. forestfireguy

Is there anyone else who has had any expierience with this?

4. Mark Oomkes

Would it help if I told you that the developer of the software almost filed bankruptcy, but suckered another company into bailing him out, screwed a lot of contractors and vendors out of only God knows how much money and is no longer in the snow and ice management business?

5. forestfireguy

I understand that this was a John Allin product, I was unaware of the rest of the info you just provided.

6. Mark Oomkes

Not sure if it matters, just thought that might help with the decision. It did for me, as I almost purchased it right away.

7. WINTERGROUP

WINTERGROUP Member

Estimating Softwatre

I Have Tryed The Gie Software, From That John Guy. I Have Not Yet Got It To Work, It's Been Three Years. I Have Not Had Good Luck At All With It And Even Less Support From The Company That Sells It.

8. forestfireguy

Well. here's what I did, someone on the SIMA site forums or maybe here pointed out a rate calculator for approximating times with different plow sizes and salt apps by sq ft. We looked over last yrs stuff and figured what costs were and compared it to what the calculator spit out. We then put it into a spreadsheet (one each) for different sized plows, atvs for walks, blowers for walks, spreaders(truck mounted),spreaders (atv mounted) and walk behind spreaders, and pushers of different sizes.We can run lots of any size to come up with the most effiecient way to handle them complete with pricing, the only hitch so far is the difficulty factor some lots present, we have thus far handled that part of the equation by adding whatever equipment we think we will need and fudging the desired margins a little bit to our favor. We ran several simulations off of jobs from last season, some we hit just about dead on, others we found there was a better way.........at least on the computer, I think that unless some kind of new method of snow management comes along we should be able to simply adjust costs for equipment/fuel/overhead/ins and such on a yearly basis and then just add our margins to find our number.....Your thoughts gentlemen??????? I am actually happy with what we have done, but at the same time I find myself a little bit leary to trust it completely, maybe if we run it on another previous yrs worth of stuff I'd feel better. I have to see.......

9. CNY Plow

CNY Plow Senior Member

I linked to the site and found the software you refered to. I did not have to look any further than the price to know this is a rip-off.

You'd be better off buying "Quickbooks" and getting all your accounting done. And, setup some spreadsheets and do your estimating based on your own criteria - you know; overhead (taxes, insurance, maintenance, payroll, etc) [if you use that software you're going to have to have enough knowledge to use spreadsheets anyhow]

The cost of fuel adjustment was the biggest problem I could forsee this year. The following formula is for per push contracts but can be adapted to other rate applications

Price Increases:
    COST OF FUEL PRICE ADJUSTMENTS THROUGHOUT THE SEASON:
    OUR VEHICLES USE PREMIMUM GASOLENE.
    At the time of this printing the cost of fuel was $3.00 per gallon Plowing rates will increase by 1/3 the % increase of the fuel.
    FOR EXAMPLE:
    If the cost of fuel goes up .30 cents that is an increase of 9.37% and 1/3 of that is 3.13% so that a fee of $55 will increase to $56.72.
    We require these increases to maintain our reserve fuel/maintenance account. At no time will the cost drop below the season starting fee.
    Maybe your congressman can do something about stabelizing the cost of fuel. Mine can't or won't.