1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Estimating salt usage

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by GR Salter, Dec 18, 2001.

1. GR Salter

GR Salter Junior Member

In the past I have always estimated the amount of salt used
    at each site (1/2 ton, 1/4 ton etc. ). Does anybody use a
    different method such as a scale set up on the truck. We tried
    to do this but found that most of these systems are made for
    large dumptrucks and wouldn't be as accurate for 4 or 5 ton
    loads. I thought about about calibrating it with a stopwatch
    but the rate that is spread varies depending on how the control
    knobs are set. I use a Flink stainless tailgate spreader.

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I use v-boxes. All of which are roughly the same size. I know how much material it takes to fill it and by watching how it goes down I can roughly guage how much I use. This is not rocket science. I can give an fairly accurate estimate of material spread though.

OBRYANMAINT PlowSite.com Veteran
    from ohio

i thinks it is pretty common practice around me to do the same......spread salt and then take a look at the box and estimate for me it is generally not an issue a majority of our salting is done as a per application price so the amount is never in question.......it would be nice to have an accurate record though for the books
  4. diginahole

diginahole Member

I thought about this not to long ago. It would be nice to meter how much material gets spread at each location. The idea, and so far it is still just an idea, was to mount an electronic bicycle odometer to the drag chain shaft. I never change the settings on my spreader so it would be very easy to calculate how much material is dropped for each klick on the odometer. The only thing stopping me so far is the odometer requires 2 wires and I only have one left in my 7 wire connector. Not a big problem but that and only 24 hours in the day have prevented me from doing it as of yet.
  5. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Dont know the odometer in question, but naybe you only need one wire.

Ground the other wire to the truck and pick the ground back up in the cab or wherever you where going to mount?

I assume its DC voltage, so it should work.

6. diginahole

diginahole Member

Actually it runs off a watch battery, so I dont know if that would work in this case? I'm going to look for something that works off a 12V system but it will likely be something I stumble across one day, I'm not that concerned with making this happen anytime soon.
  7. peewee

peewee Member

I have only used sand/salt and want to give a quote for a straight salt application. So to add a question to this thread, does anyone know if I use 1 yard for a typical application of sand in a particular lot, do I use the same amount of salt for same lot or is there a ratio that would be close? Anyone ever switched over?
  8. diginahole

diginahole Member

I use 10lbs per 1000 sq ft for a light application of straight salt upto 25lbs per 1000 sq ft for a heavy app. Pre-treating lots at around 15 #/m will most often eliminate any further apps.
  9. peewee

peewee Member

Thanks diginahole, anyone else switch over from sand to salt?
  10. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I estimate salt apps alittle on the high side. That way if the area requires a heavy salting, I can give it a heavier one. This avoids trying to explain on the bill why it cost more sometimes then others. There I have apps where it takes a lot less salt, so it works out over the winter.