1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

estimating new work

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by DanVawter, Aug 15, 2014.

1. DanVawter

DanVawter Junior Member

diving into snow for the first time. looking for estimating standards for snowblower/shovel/ice-melting commercial property. What is defined as a 'push' as a standard? is there a square-footage of walk standard?

2. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

Are you plowing or just trying to use snow blowers? You really ought to sub contracted to gain some experience. In my area sidewalk subs get 45/hr its supposed to be a 2 man crew. But if this is your first time I'd for sure sub and maybe have a few mom and pop places.

3. DanVawter

DanVawter Junior Member

site will only allow for snow blowers. we have subbed our crew out to larger snow removal companies before, but this is our first opportunity to go it alone, just unsure of our pricing structure. it is located in a congested college campus environment with retail merchants the primary 'customer' so to speak. probably close to 25,000 sf of walk around the one building to treat/remove. We are in Indiana, where are you located?

4. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

Dayton Ohio I try to charge an hourly rate for side walks and I'm including my salt in that hourly price.

5. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

do you salt for that 45, is that for two people with two snow blowers short a couple of details.

6. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

No salting for that 45. That is what the larger company around here pays for side walk subs. They can use any tool they like I guess. I don't do side walks for them I just know what they pay. I am bidding sidewalks at 70/hr including salt

7. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

how many bags of salt included in that 70 per hour, if its one sign me up. not sure how you source salt and at what price but it will be a factor if it is more than one. do you have accesses to bulk?

8. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

250/skid
    100/ton bulk

9. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Bidding Help

Put our 35 Years of experience to work for you!

Snow & Ice Management Bidding Package Includes:
    #1 Snow & Ice Management Manual – this is a comprehensive manual covering all aspects of snow & ice management for both residential and commercial accounts. Also includes application rates for many different deicing materials.

#2 Snow & Ice Management CD full of over 30 templates for contracts, route sheets, hours of operation sheets, Who’s first, proposal formats, don’t take the risk template for clients, sample invoices, sample marketing forms and much more. All these templates are in Microsoft Word format and are completely customizable to your business.

#3 Snow & Ice Management Quick Estimator CD – calculates per push, per event, hourly or season contracts. Also calculates material application rates for both granular and liquid applications for any deicing material that you may be using. This CD also calculates time and material for application of material, and hand labor as well. This CD runs in Microsoft Excel and is not software. You simply fill in the blanks and you have your estimate.

#4 CD Know why you charge what you charge – CD calculates the cost per hour of operation for YOUR company based on your overhead, expenses and use-rates. Simple, fast and accurate. Never under-you’re your services again. This CD runs in Microsoft Excel and is not software. You simply fill in the blanks with your company specific information and it does the rest. Never under-sell any of your services again.

Go to www.profitsareus.com or call us at 800-845-0499 to order. Feel free to call us with any questions you might have as well. Being a full-service lawn & landscaping business myself since 1979, I know what a contractor is looking for; something simple, accurate and professional. This package is it. Total cost for all four items $199.95.