1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Estimating Formula Needed

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Rhath64, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Rhath64

Rhath64 Junior Member

Hello to everyone! I'm new to the Snowplowing business. Just retired from 45 years of masonry. Looking for a job and plowing snow is going to be it till spring.
    Need your advice on how much time would it take to plow a straight driveway-60'x15' with a depth of 4". I want to create a baseline. I hope to contract within a 10 mile radius.

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

For me about 2 minutes

3. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

Get on taskeasy.com and use their measurement tool and it'll give you a price

4. Rhath64

Rhath64 Junior Member

Estimating

Thank you, Fannin 76. The website was helpful. I need as much info as I can get. Actually doing the plowing will be my best teacher but prices are needed now.

5. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

Did you make sure u made sure it was on snow clearing when you used the measurement tool. Because their prices are different for the tasks

6. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

Production rate X hourly rate x frequencies per season = seasonal rate
    Or
    Production rate times hourly rate = per trip rate

These are simple formulas that you can build on and refine but will at least steer you in the right direction for now.

Production rates can be found elsewhere on the site. Join SIMA for a host of information and training materials. There is a lot of work for you to do. We can't do it for you. A lot of it is part of business 101. Best wishes and good luck!

7. Rhath64

Rhath64 Junior Member

New to Snow Business

Fannin 76-I used the proper measurement tool. The costs ended up too high for my area but I did get a good breakdown as to amounts of snowfall and everything about its removal.
    Herm Witte-Found a site that gives cost averages for snow removal based on zip code. My area was very low. Our town is around 22K, and pays $150. for a season contract. I would expect an average minimum of pushes to be at least 30. That would be $5.00 a push. Hardly gas money. I've put magnetic signs on my truck yesterday about snow removal. I'm committed now, but I'm going to throw out a higher seasonal price and test the water.
    I'm very busy in my mason business right now. It's difficult to get away to check out the commercial work. Wrapping things up. I think there may be more opportunities to make money and less drive time on the road.

8. Fannin76

Fannin76 Senior Member

There salt is pretty high. I was just giving u a good option. Also task easy keeps 14% plus insurance costs if you don't have insurance. So that'll give you a rough estimate. Also the guys doing it $150 seasonal will probably peace out half way tgrough

9. springscapes

springscapes Junior Member
    from Stayner

This formula works best for me.

10. Rhath64

Rhath64 Junior Member

Per push vs. seasonal contract

I can't see how a seasonal contract will work for the customer or me without a verbal altercation. It seems that during a heavy snowfall and blowing winds I could clear a drive at 3:00 a.m. and it would need to be cleared again before 6:00 a.m. If I have fifteen accounts I think I'd have a few customers snowed in and not be able to get out of their driveway for work even though they were already serviced once. I think it would work better for me to have them call. I would get to the caller as quickly as possible and if he/she needs to be plowed again....great. By them calling I can give an update as to where and the when of service.
    I haven't plowed before. This is all new to me, but I have contracted and worked with people in business for years. What do you think? I need other perspectives. Feel free to be critical.

11. grandview

They are paying you for a service. It is your job to make sure it is cleaned out for them to go to work. That is why a tight route is a must. Start at #1 and plow to the last one. Then go back to #1 and repeat till all the snow is cleared out.

12. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

The last thing you want to do during a storm is chase around and satisfy phone requests as you will lose all routing efficiency. Plow your route in order and do it again - in order as much as possible. That way your early route clients are done first the second time through. Just remember you will never keep everyone totally happy in this industry. Just be consistent in how and when you perform your service.

13. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

You do not want phone calls.

14. grandview

Only way you can tell if you did a good job is by not getting any!

15. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

True that G.

16. Rhath64

Rhath64 Junior Member

No Calls

Thank you. I've read your replies to others and respect your input to me. Three experienced pros giving the same information would be foolish to ignore. And I won't. NO CALLS!
    Thanks again.

17. andersman02

andersman02 Senior Member

To go along with these guys, do not try and please everyone. Do your route, if it is a heavy event, do it now than once, in the same order. We reverse the routes each storm to keep it fair

18. MSsnowplowing

MSsnowplowing Senior Member

Well some calls you do want, like the neighbor right next door who saw you plowing and wants you to plow them too. :cool:

Even better the single hot blond right GV :blush2:

19. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

As I get older the neighbours always come out ask me a price and send their kid over to start shovelling my customers drive...