1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by arcticedge, Jul 27, 2009.

1. arcticedge

arcticedge Junior Member

This is my first year for plowing. Im only doing residental. I pretty much got prices for driveways set. Its just that I got a friend that moved to a apartment building and the landlord wants me to give him a estimate for the property. Its 2 four plexs the parking lot isnt vey big maybe 12 spots. How do I come up with a figure?
  2. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

You need to do some searches and look at the older posts. Most of your questions will be answered there.

My first answer is don't do it. Stick to residentials this year and get a feel for how it works. But if you are like me, you will go for it anyway. You could take your truck over there and drive around the lot pretending you are pushing snow and get a time it takes to do that. Then take that times your hourly rate. This will not only give you a time estimate, but wil show you where there are problems.

After you get a price, add a precentage like 10% -20%.

Don't worry about not gettting the bid either. Most commercial property owners are just looking for the cheapest price they can.
  3. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Bear in mind, these 4 plexes and apt's and stuff are a pain. There's ALWAYS cars in the way. Be sure you have the eqpt or time to handle putting snow in spots that aren't the easiest accessible, or having to backdrag parking spots that are close to other cars, etc. For example, a v or scoop type plow will help being able to move the snow somewhere efficiantly, and something with a shorter wheelbase will help manuver a lot better in tight spots. An aerial view would help.