1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Estimate problems.

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by K c m, Jan 15, 2005.

1. K c m

K c m Junior Member

Hay guys. I have a difficult question to ask of you. Some of you may have read a post about 2 months ago regarding which unit to snow blow (residential) with. That being said i went with the snow commander, no problem. One problem; no snow :rolleyes: not that big of a deal. Yesterday I received a call from a woman who wanted me to clear all walks pavements for her development. No problem however she asked me for a quote and i wasn't sure how to respond by "well typically it is going to vary according to accumulations" then she asked me to have a starting quote estimate. Now this is a 2 hour job for a 1 man crew (im in school thats why i don't have any employees during the winter) I am just wondering any imput you pros may have. All i need to know is a starting price like 6"=40 and hour? something like that.

thank you very much

rob.

2. K c m

K c m Junior Member

???? :confused:

3. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

How do you usually price jobs? I guess I'm just not real clear on what you're asking. Are you saying you do not know how to give proposals? Or was she asking for a price over the phone? I would tell her I have to look at the job, then we can discuss it.

4. K c m

K c m Junior Member

Sorry for the vaguenss of my post. I have never done snow removal except for when i was a tike making a few bucks here and there for a walk. However i am a business now. I know the place she speaks of. Its a bunch of townhouses facing each other on a street leading to a coldesak (sp?) bout 25 homes.

She asked me basically for a base price and i was just wondering where to even start with this. I don't want to give her any quote then get screwed if we get more snow. Sorry for the inexperience I just havent had a lot of practice in this sort of thing.

I guess i will calculate the time that it will take me for 6 inches to 12 inches and go from there.

5. K c m

K c m Junior Member

o ya she asked me over the Phone. sorry. i told her that i needed to see the properties.

6. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

At 1-3"..I'm at 100 per hr,(plow)17.50- 25 per hr. sidewalks.4-8"=175 hr.(plow) & 30-50 hr sidewalks

7. K c m

K c m Junior Member

WOW. hmmm i would have underbid that one thanks repo-man. payup

8. repo_man62

repo_man62 Senior Member

And that's in a little hick town of 3,775

9. Gene L.

Gene L. Junior Member
    from CT

For all sidewalk work I would price it up to 6" then up to 12". you probally need to do the steps also and thats shovel work. $100 an hour sounds good with 75 per hour for the 6-12 inch range, put in a blizzard clause ro the monster snow. Gene