1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Essential Tools

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by WOOFSPLOW, Oct 21, 2003.

WOOFSPLOW Member

I have an extensive list of items that I will be taking with me while plowing. I was wondering if I was missing anything. What are the most important if not most used items?
    SAE & Metric socket set, Adj. wrench, pliers-adj, channel locks, wire, elect, needle-nose, fuses, 5gal jug of gas, washer fluid, shovels, elect. tape, screwdrivers, fire extinguisher, flashlight, 12v "big" flashlight, and a variety of misc. plow items and the most important..............DUCT TAPE. Suggestions please...Thanks :)
  2. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

A BIG Thermos of Coffee!:waving:
  3. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

I would also carry a rain suit believe it or not incase you need to be out in the elements for a while twistin wrenches on a broken part.
  4. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

also it doesnt hurt to carry an extra set of winshield wiper blades. tow strap. and cant forget the 5 gallon can of coffee :drinkup:

WOOFSPLOW Member

Yea, coffee is esential. I also always carry the following: tow strap, flares, first aid kit, 2ton jack with 18" sq. plate. I drive on the local beaches to go fishing and these items and others are required. $500 fine for each item if you don't have onboard if your stopped. Thanks:waving:

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

i carry a bag of clothes

extra gloves socks hats etc

charger for cell phone

and since i own meyers
    i carry an extra pump

prepare for the worst hope for the best
  7. OffRoadPlow

OffRoadPlow Senior Member

Just because you did not say it.. :D

Com.... You will want to be sure to have a cell phone and or CB or com of some sort, just to be sure you can contact someone if needed..
  8. snowjoker

snowjoker Senior Member

Plow fluid and an extra hose. Cell Phone also could come in handy,and tranny fluid too, note pad and pen, all that i can come up with for now!:D
  9. hortboy

hortboy Junior Member

I know it sounds stupid but a shovel, I've had to dig my truck out before when all else failed and I was hung up on an old pile of snow that iced up and nobody around to pull me out. Also nice to have if you get out of the truck for some old ladies steps.
  10. Joe92GT

Joe92GT Member

Vice grips!!!! Extra nuts and bolts of lots of sizes. (I lost a trans cross member once.... went everywhere to find a bolt, cause I couldn't drive the truck from where it was).

I like to have a metal Spade (dirt shovel for ice and old snow), a snow shovel, old sheets for lying on, and compressed air.
  11. Adams plowing

Adams plowing Senior Member

dosent hurt so have an extra set of u-joints handy either.
  12. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

an extra trip spring wouldnt hurt either.

13. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

One thing nobody's mentioned, and ez-out to remove the broken piece of fitting, when you break a hose or fitting off, especially the EZ-V they tend to take out the front rt angle fitting on the angle cylinder.:salute:

14. tovoninc

tovoninc Senior Member

a camera is handy in case there is an accident or there is property damage caused by you or more importantly by someone else (to prove your innocence). we carry disposable cameras in our road tractors in the event of an accident and I have carried the item over to the plow truck.

a little army surplus folding shovel is real handy. I use bags of salt on a pallet as my ballast in the truck bed but the salt has come in handy on getting "unstuck" more than once.

the basics: a chain saw, tow chains, the emergency snow plow repair kit that has one of everything, plow pump oil, electrical tape, jumper cables, dry gas, lots of cotter pins & hitch pins, spare bulbs, CB w/weather channel, change of clothes, fire extinguisher, hunting boots, insulated coveralls, food, two tool boxes with lots of tools, electrical connectors, scoop shovel, etc.

not being prepared is costly plus it really fouls up your night!
  15. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

I carry most of the above mentioned above, last year I thought it would be a good idea to start carring one of thoes small portable propain torches. Last year before "the big one" as I was on my way out to start sunday afternoon, my plow was very slow at raising the plow and didn't angle. Turns out it was icing up, needed a little heat to free it up. :waving:
  16. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

one thing that I noticed nobody mentioned
    A TARP

I absolutely hate laying in snow to fix something

I carry a ziploc bag of assorted nuts& bolts, 2 pairs of vice grips, a bundle of bailing wire:nod: 4 flares ( good for thawing a pump) hoses, fluid,hitchpins, fuel filter, wire brush, flat and phillips screw drivers, 5d maglight, a warn 8274 winch w/ full set of recovery gear, a tarp & and my 64 oz super speedway coffee cup.:D unlike most I dont carry trip springs, I figure hey theres 5 on the plow, and it will work with only 2 so why waste space

oh and cant forget a high lift jack for getting out of trouble

WOOFSPLOW Member

Thanks to all for the input. All these items should take care of my ballast issues!