1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Essential "add ons"

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MSS Mow, Nov 21, 2009.

What do you consider "essential" add-ons to your plow truck?

1. Heated seats

7 vote(s)
  2. heated wipers

8 vote(s)
  3. heated washer fluid

6 vote(s)
  4. heated mirrors

41 vote(s)
  5. studded tires

11 vote(s)
  6. emergency lighting (strobes, etc)

89 vote(s)
  7. area lighting (extra backup lights, etc)

71 vote(s)
  8. GPS

21 vote(s)
  9. Satellite Radio

18 vote(s)
  10. Two-way radio

23 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I know we've discussed many of these options seperately but just curious to see what everyone would consider essential "Add ons" to your truck for the winter, whether it's a factory "option" or aftermarket. One might even argue that these items all contribute to us being "spoiled".

I'm sure I've missed some add ons so go ahead and throw them out too. Not looking for plow brand/type, sander brand/type, etc. We all know we need a plow to plow snow. Now, what ELSE does one "need".
  2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

I need a GPS, we have accounts pretty spread out and supervising them I might need to get to any of them, without snow, travel from point to point between our accounts could be 45 mins. With snow and more importantly trafffic in poor weather could easily be twice that. GPS gives routing options I don't know off the top of my head. Gotta have extra lights, and we are in a non-stop congested area, NYC suburb so the pace of life here is GO GO GO all the time, I wish more people stayed home in the snow..........But it just doesn't work like that, and it seems like the ones with the RWD sports cars are the ones that stay out longest and ruin it for other on the roads and in the lots.

I don't have heated wipers, or fluid, but both are something I'm looking at adding now. My new truck might have heated mirrors, I could see the benefit to them.
  3. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I bought a 2009 2500HD and in order to get heated mirrors you have to order the rear window defrost also. I opted not to spend the extra money. They know how to package those items to get you to spend more for things you dont need. I never once had to scrape my rear cab window so why would i drop an extra 400 bucks for the defrost?
  4. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

-beef jerky
    -ice tea
  5. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

I didnt see Beer on your list :confused:
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

How about a truck that runs?

None of the above for me.
  7. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Just looking for "add-ons" for a truck. There are a bunch of threads about the necessary items to carry with us...food, drinks, tow strap, chain, extra oil...the list goes on. I'm looking for more permanent features to add to a vehicle to improve our ability to clear snow, or at least to make it more comfy.

:D Beer is what we need when we are done! Otherwise, same response to above.

A truck that runs is kinda an assumption here GV. Just like assuming there is some sort of reliable plow on the front and for those who salt/sand, a reliable salter/sander on back. Now, none of the above could be a legitamate answer. One "could" plow snow without ANY of the listed options. I'm just curious what everyone feels is essential.
  8. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Typical of auto manufacturers.

I do like the rear defroster, but I rarely need it. Usually only when I get some snow baffling around onto it.
  9. grandview

Hot chick in passenger seat?
  10. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

The only esentials IMO are emergency lighting (strobes, etc) and backup lights. The rest are luxury itams IMO.
  11. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

A 12 volt cooler to keep the beers cold. :nod:

12. KingDuramax

KingDuramax Senior Member

You have an 8 foot cooler on your truck just behind the cab. LOL
  13. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

:laughing: I stand corrected. I apologize for miscategorizing your suggestion. :D
  14. grandview

Your going to need duels batteries then!
  15. 3311

3311 Senior Member

Six pack of starbucks
  16. ontario026

ontario026 Senior Member

I must not charge enough? Maybe I'm a Low-baller? I can't afford starbucks, I have to stick to 6packs of Timmies!!!
  17. mkwl

mkwl 2000 Club Member

So true- gotta love the guy in the BMW who decided to stay at work until the middle of a storm, then tries to get up even a slight incline, can't make it, but is too stubborn to call for a tow, so he blocks up the whole road for miles :gunsfiring::gunsfiring: Get a truck or stay off the road!
  18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The lighting are the only things I would label as essential. The heated/power stuff sure is nice though. And absolutely justifiable.
  19. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Coming from someone with every option available on their ATV. :laughing:
  20. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

WOW, I guess you could call me "old school" (or maybe just old!).

When I started plowing (it really wasn't that long ago), we plowed with running lights & small strobe only to cut back the draw on the batteries.
    We usually ran with the windows open at least partially for better vision, & just to stay awake.
    We actually memorized our route patterns vs. GPS.
    We also got our weather by looking out the windshield. Granted, having an active radar with is nice, but it's not like you can control the weather anyways. Back in the day, we simply plowed until all the snow was cleared.;)
    Heck, the first plow truck I ran had some form of "tuck & roll" bench seat & one of those old, factory style push button radios. The radio was definatly an essential though. I had to leave it on, as when the reception would get scratchy, I new it was time to "re-charge" the batteries.