1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Eskimos had 32 different words for snow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by murphy4trees, Mar 20, 2007.

1. murphy4trees

murphy4trees Member

What fell on Friday into saturday here in the western suburbs of Philly (the mainline) was NOT SNOW.... It rained Thursday into Friday morning and turned to sleet around daybreak and began accumualing around 9 AM... It was supposed to make a change to snow but never did. It sleeted all day and that ice came down cold, no fluff there. The ground temp was above freezing so a layer of slush formed under the sleet. The sleet was so cold that the slush froze easily into a 1" layer of ice under the sleet, as soon as Temperatures fell below freezing. I never actually stopped to measure the depth of accumulation, but people here are saying it was the hardest snow to plow in 30 years...

I put new sneakers on the front of one truck and lots of extra weight in everything.... It took repeated pushes on the same lane, sometimes 10-15, to cut the hard stuff down to black top. We were lucky if the springs would repeatedly trip leaving a washboad effect which would then clear in a couple more passes.

I know you guys up north see a lot more action than we do, so you might be used to any and everything. Not us though... I picked up a lot of call ins from people who siad their regular plower couldn't get it done.... My philosophy.... BILL 'EM..... I wasn't talking to customers which allowed me the much needed focus... Everything went through my office manager. he was telling call ins it was $150 for driveways and another 40-50 if they wanted salt. High prices are the only thing that makes this work worth all the trouble and hastles.

Single handeldly picked up another $2,065 on Sunday from call ins. That was about 8 hours in the truck, and included salting about half of the 14 jobs with a walk behind push spreader.
  2. Mark in MD

Mark in MD Member

I'm not charging enough!!!