1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Erskine UTV Blower, any one using these?

Discussion in 'ATV / UTV Snow Removal' started by Kenkreger, Jan 22, 2011.

1. Kenkreger

Kenkreger Member

2. Idahoktmrider

Idahoktmrider Junior Member

i was wondering the same thing

3. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

Watching the video it looks like it works better as a plow then a blower.

4. ALC-GregH

from pa

5. Kenkreger

Kenkreger Member

Funny, cause at the end of the video you posted, there is a Erskine sticker on the side of the blower they are using.:D

So unless the Toro has better flow and pressure I don't see how it could have an advantage in blower performance. It does look like a cool machine though.
    Ken

6. Kenkreger

Kenkreger Member

7. ALC-GregH

from pa

I guess it could be the utv isn't putting out enough power to drive the blower. It could be as simple as raising the rpm of the slave engine.

8. Kenkreger

Kenkreger Member

Increasing slave engine rpm would increase flow (gpm) to the the blower. Raising flow or pressure increases drive horse power and also performance.
    Also reducing load (fluffy snow versus compacted or settled snow) which I think is the main difference in the two videos.

Not sure on these models but the skidsteer blowers they make are tuned to match the flow of the hydraulic pump driving them by choosing one of 5 different motor displacements. It could be that the Toro unit has a larger pump and the matching power has a larger displacement motor giving it more torque to maintain the fan speed.

I would like to see more vids of them, and hear more feedback. Nice to see that Toro has faith in the Erskine design though.
    Ken

9. MtnCowboy

MtnCowboy Member

I wonder if the weight is correct. "210 lbs" seems too light for a 60" blower – inch-for-inch, about half the weight of a garden tractor blower. Today I used my 300 lb, 46" garden tractor blower on an iced up berm that has been compacted this season by a large truck plow. It got the job done, but every time it sucked up a giant, frozen snowball the blower housing would shake like it was coming apart.

The Erskine weight spec must be a typo. It looks like a nice unit.

10. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

210 is probaly just the blower, not the mount or power unit.

11. MtnCowboy

MtnCowboy Member

I assume the same but it still seems light. I don't know that heavier weight is a benefit for blowing snow, though it helps when attacking frozen, plow-blade-shaped piles, and when sucking in the occasional football-size rock. I did the latter once: it jammed tight in the 16" impeller housing and I thought I would have to use explosives to get it out.

12. Dakota Dave

Dakota Dave Member

I use a 60 " erskine on a BobCat 853. I think the blower wieghs just over 800 lbs. Two guys can move it in the shop if you have to. the Erskine video looks like hard compacted snow. ours blows snow great if its fresh snow you can move throught it at a pretty good pace. If its hard compacted snow you need to go slow. When you hit ice chunks it sounds like gunfire. but hasn't hurt it yet. Ben in use for 4 years now.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  13. slongfellowii

slongfellowii Senior Member

If Dakota Dave's weighs 800 lbs, I would assume they are made for homeowners and not for commercial use. Remember the winch still has to lift it. I'm sure they are not taking into account that some people might use a UTV for commercial plowing.

14. mnlefty

mnlefty Senior Member

I run a toolcat with a 72" bobcat blower on the front as my driveway rig... I was very intrigued by this setup the first time I saw it. Certainly a much more economical option... a $10000-12000 UTV instead of a $40000 toolcat, blowers are probably comparable in price. UTV probably gets around quicker than the 18MPH road gear on the toolcat... but after watching the video a bit closer and seeing the numbers thrown around this thread, this thing looks like a toy compared to a real skid blower.

15. Kenkreger

Kenkreger Member

A utv would never lift a real 800 lb skid blower, it has to be lightened up somewhere.
    I thought it was the same as the mini skidsteer blower but those are 400 lbs, mind you that includes a lot more mount then this has. They are 53" not 60 and made to run on a asv rc 30 and other mini's. As for comercial use, again it would be interesting to here from someone using it. How many hours on it and what if anything they had fixed.

I'd bet if you took the engine off some of the other brands of utv blowers they would be in this 200 lb weight range too. The power unit is 300 lb and includes the frame under the machine. There is not much blower behind the the fan to where it unhooks from the frame. So 200 lbs may be all the mass it needs to be comparable or better in strength then the competitors. This thing would go up and down hills much better with the power pack in the rear balancing out the system then a front heavy engine mounted on the blower setup or those with castor wheels.

I don't think you can compare a 45k toolcat setup with something 1/3 the price and expect it to be the bigger toy. You not going to chew up plowed (many) banks with this. It for fairly fresh snow imo.
    The same way a toolcat is a toy compared to a 644 with a blower on the front.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  16. mnlefty

mnlefty Senior Member

You're absolutely right, I wouldn't expect this to be on the same level as the toolcat, but if it were close enough it might be workable...

However my gut tells me it's not going to withstand the rigors of 40,50, 60 driveways or more 15-20 times a season for very long. Also gives the appearance of something that would be wonderful in 2", but when you hit 6" or more would slow down beyond the point of useful production. Most everybody slows down from 2" to 6", but I get the feeling the gap is much wider with this.

Like you say, I'd love to hear from somebody who has used it for more than just their own driveway.

17. Kenkreger

Kenkreger Member

It does however have 25 hp producing 13.5 gpm x 2750 psi, and not too long ago that was in skidsteer (753 bobcat) territory for operating blowers. Its bang on mini skidsteer performance specs now.
    It would be real nice to know how fast it travels through 6" of fresh dry snow...
    Ken

18. Idahoktmrider

Idahoktmrider Junior Member

Just pulled the trigger on blower and power pack should be here in 2 weeks. i will post on how it does. going to try in on 40 res. accounts.?????

19. mnlefty

mnlefty Senior Member

Idaho-

Any reports on the Erskine yet? Power, transport speed? What do you have it mounted on?

20. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Toro doesn't publish hydraulic flow because the blower is shaft driven, not hydraulic. FWIW