1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Erskine Skid Steer Snow Plow

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by merrimacmill, Jul 12, 2010.

1. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Does anyone have any experience with Erskine snow plows? I just bought my second M7040 and will be picking it up later this week, or early next. I will be purchasing a second 10 foot snow pusher for it, but would also like to get a couple snow plows for the loaders on them. I know the concerns about bending the arms and such, but all that aside, how is the quality of the Erskine snow plows?

I was going to just go with a couple Boss plows, but the dealer I buy my tractors from doesn't sell anything but the Erskine plows and does not have any on the lot for me to look at first. I can't decide if I should have one thrown in the tractor purchase, or just get a 9' Boss skid steer plow down the road?

Thanks in advance
  2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If you already have pushers for them I'd look for a used Meyers M10 or something equivalent and just make up the mount. I'm a total Boss guy for pickups but I'd never put one on a tractor. It's to hard with a V plow to keep your blade at proper height on a loader. We have four 14ft power angle blades sitting around because we thought we'd need them but for some reason we find you can basically do everything with a pusher. So they havn't been used in years. Food for thought.
  3. rhkfwain

rhkfwain Senior Member
    from FWA, IN

One of the issues with mounting a snow blade on a tractor loader is the potential to bend or twist the loader arms as there are no "stops" to absorb the loads. It is quite different with a skid steer loader as you can (and should) push with the loaders arms resting against the stops. Just an observation from somebody with much less plowing experience than most here but with 25 years of experience in the skid steer and tractor loader attachment industry.

While I no longer have any ties to Erskine, I used to be a manufacturers rep for them, selling their snow blowers and they make an excellent snow blower, the best in the industry as far as I am concerned. I don't know much about their snow blades (they didn't offer them when I was repping for them) but If it were me I would purchase a snow blade from a snow plow manufacturer, somebody with the experience and not a company who manufactures over (40) different attachments. My opinion is that many of the industry attachment manufacturers have tried to become all things to all people and have lost their focus and expertise.
    Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  4. snocrete

snocrete Banned

FWIW though, the boss skid plow is a far superior product over the erskin imo.
  5. Wallace

Wallace Member

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry my bad. I always think of Boss as V for some reason.

rhkfwain this is not bashing you in no way I am just stating the facts in general.

Actually it has been proving that pushing into a bank or even a hard packed dirt pile does exert more force to the loader arms than plowing snow..and please don't say that plowing snow there is more side force than loading a bucket full of dirt. Very seldom is the side to side force of loading a bucket equal.[/QUOTE]

Since your an expert, what happens when you hit an island with your blade that is fully angled?
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  7. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Only rookies do that Dave,

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

Anytime we have tried to put a manufactured angle blade on a large skid or tractor they have never held up in one season they resemble an old dish rag. (We do run pretty aggressive though) We now run 11 and 12 ft plows off of Highway trucks, doesnt take long to fab them up and nice big pins, double cutting edges, and if you look around a bit you can get some practically new ones very reasonable, I bought 4 on an auction for $800, 2 had about half their life left and the other 2 were Falls and had never been put on a truck. We really only run these on big skids now and they kick out the corners, dicks, and such to the loaders and boxplows. I do agree with bending tractor loader arms easily we have done it.
  9. Wallace

Wallace Member

Since your an expert, what happens when you hit an island with your blade that is fully angled?[/QUOTE]

What kind of statement is that?
    Lets not get stupid about this..if you hit anything with a plow I don't care if it is a truck,tractor, or grader something is going to give!
    You don't have to be a expert to know that it's just common sense!

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

I meant docks, and such haha
  11. hickslawns

hickslawns Senior Member

Read it twice, chuckled after figuring it out. Oops.;)