1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Erratic Fuel gage

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by RichG53, Nov 23, 2009.

1. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

I have been experiencing an erratic fuel gauge for some time... I don't know what it might be ??? Some times when I fuel up and start the truck it will read low on fuel (light on)..Coast in neutral shut off and restart jumps to read right...Some times while driving it will zero it self to read low on fuel(light on) then a moment later will jump to read right...: And be ok ...confused::confused:

Bad sending unit or maybe a ground... . Any Ideas???
    If it is fuel sending unit I know what I might have to do ,If it is a ground I don't know were to look for it or what to look for....(Possibly a Picture of it)..
    Any Help???? Thanks !!!
    Rich .....

2. Sydenstricker Landscaping

Sydenstricker Landscaping PlowSite Veteran

It could possibly be the stepper motor in the gauge cluster in the dash. I know GM had some issues with them and having gauge issues. Im sure B&B will chime in and get it straight.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

In order of commonality...

98% = failing fuel sender
    1% = poor connection
    1% = bad stepper motor (on a pre-'03 truck)

4. overtime

overtime Senior Member

There is 3 thing I know you can do. 1st thing there is a ground by the cab mount on the driver side right below the door hinges clean that up. 2nd thing if you can ping test the gauge (gas). I know you can do it with a tech 2 but not sure it you can do it with others. 3rd the fuel sender is junk but there like 450 around here installed. This is what we do in the shop here hope this helps.

5. RichG53

THANKS ALL !!!! The Stepper motor is that part of the sending unit or just the gauge ???? Or another part I'm not familiar with ?????

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The steppers are the small electric motors in the cluster that actually move the gauge needles. Each gauges has one.

7. RichG53

OK Thanks !!!
    Is the pump and sending unit all one part ???? Or separate parts ?????

8. overtime

overtime Senior Member

Its all one but the fuel gauge issue won't afect the pump I would wait to replace it just if yea have extra cash go ahead. That's why the so damn pricey

9. RichG53

They get you either way.....These part prices are getting out of hand .....

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's only expensive if you look at it that way. If we told you they cost $800 but when you purchased it really only cost you $400 you'd be dancing in the street. :D

11. RichG53

No dancing @ $ 400.00 either.......
    Money is tight...Every dollar counts...

12. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

Fuel gauge problems = reset the odo each tank, and keep a full 5 gallon container of fuel in the box.

Too Easy.

13. RichG53

I bought the truck with a fuel gauge I prefer to be able to use it like intended......