1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Erratic acting toggle controls?

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by cpd427, Dec 15, 2010.

1. cpd427

cpd427 Member
    from ohio

I have an E47 pump, fresh fluid new B and C valve. All 3 coils have magnetism. I'm not sure if I have the plugs to the toggles on wrong or what?
    When I have the black wire from the harness w/the fues attached to it, attached to a powersource the plow will lower but not raise. When I unhook the fused wire from the powersource it will raise but not lower. When I hit the angle toggle, sometimes it will angle and sometimes it wont.When I hit the angle toggle with the black fuesed wire hooked to a powersource all I get is a clicking noise. When I unhook it, the pump motor will run but still no angle.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  2. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

My E47 has always been just wired up by me, first with dual DPDT switches bought at HD then upgraded to slick stick, so I don't know about the plugs, or how they could get messed up, but definitely your plow shouldn't do anything without the fused wire hooked up. The fused wire should provide 12v to the center of both toggles, to go to the motor solenoid and all three valve coils depending on the switch positions. The float/lower wire is black so maybe there is a cross there. This should help:

http://ww2.meyerproducts.com/upload/forms/1-562 R16.pdf

3. cpd427

cpd427 Member
    from ohio

I just went out now and tried it and when I hit just the up toggle it raised and angled to the left at the same time. I have the white wire on the harness attached to the small post on the soleniod. The + cable from the pump motor to the right side post of the solenoid. Then another + cable from the left post of the soleniod (labled BATT) to the + post of the battery. Then I have the ground cable going from the pump badt to the NEG term of the battery. The red,green and black wires from the coils are hooked up to the corresponding colors of the harness.

4. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

the black wire from the pump should only have power to it when you want to lower the plow, the green wire is to angle rt. , red is for up , default is angle left with none of the coils energized.
    The white wire from the switch's is used to activate the motor, motor does NOT need to be energized to lower/float HOWEVER for all other functions the motor needs to be activated at the same time the coil is activated.
    look up Meyer E47 rebuild (google it) page 20 has the simplest wiring diagram for two switch setup.
    hope this helps, If i could figure out how to attach a pdf file I would.
    page 18 at this web address http://ww2.meyerproducts.com/upload/forms/1-562 R16.pdf

Last edited: Dec 15, 2010
  5. cpd427

cpd427 Member
    from ohio

Will bad coils cause it to default left?

6. wva

wva Member

:waving:
    hi there can you wire the e60 using the same two switch setup. I have an extra truck i would like to wire up as a backup read some where that with the two switchs it would go up and to left is that right. Thanks for any help:waving:

7. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

to the best of my knowledge, YES, the E60 has the same valve block and same three coils.
    I intend to do the same once I get my E60 back up and running.

8. cpd427

cpd427 Member
    from ohio

I just had it angling and going up and down for a few sec. But it's doing it when it shouldent be, when the key is in the off position. I have the fused wire wired into a fues that has power and key on engine off. This makes no sense.

9. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

Hmmm, very strange, are you sure the "hot" wire is only hot when the key is on?
    I would run a temporary wire from the battery as the hot wire to the switches just to see if everything works like it should, maybe the keyed hot is shorted somewhere?
    Is this a new setup or have you been using it?

10. cpd427

cpd427 Member
    from ohio

This is a new/used set up to me.This is the first time I'v used a meyer setup.
    Just tried that and when I have the black fuesed wire hooked to the + term of the batt, I got no movement at all except for letting the blade lower. Once I took it off the + term I can raise the plow and angle it to the right but not to left.
    I swaped the hoses at the quick couplers on the angle block and then it would angle left and not right. Once the plow got all the way up If I would keed bumping the toggle up, it would take quick small jumps to the right. and viceversa when I had the hoses hooked up the original way. (This is all with the truck turned off by the way)

11. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

It sounds like maybe you've got fused black wire with float black wire mixed up some how. Try swapping them if you can easily.

12. cpd427

cpd427 Member
    from ohio

There is only one way the plugs can plug into the back of the toggles. It makes no sense.

13. cpd427

cpd427 Member
    from ohio

Millsupply told me they sold me a western solenoid instead of a Meyer. They swaped me for a Meyer one and now I have no power at all just clicking, the pump motor wont even run. There's power at the POS cable from the batt to one POS term on the solenoid. But there's no power going from the other POS term of the solenoid to the pump motor. The small white wire that goes to the solenoid has power when I click up, left and right toggles. Just put my pump on my friends truck and it operates fine. Possibly a bad solenoid?

14. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

when you say "clicking" do you mean the solenoid is clicking or the coil valves are clicking? If it's the solenoid that is clicking I would check the grounds.
    Can you have someone hit the up button and you check with a meter/test light to see if you have power to the motor while they are doing it, or at least to the other side of the solenoid.
    It very well could be a bad solenoid.

15. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

There may be only one way the plug fits but if the wires are wrong then you need to look into that.

16. cpd427

cpd427 Member
    from ohio

The coils on the valves are clicking. Using a test light, the white wire has power when I hit up, left and right but but has no power to the other side of the solenoid, the one that runs to the pump motor. Seems like the controls have power but the pump motor doesn't.

17. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

the new solenoid needs to be grounded, just a thought that you don't have it screwed to the fender or whatever to insure that it's grounded. It grounds through the housing of the solenoid when you screw or bolt it into something that is grounded.

18. cpd427

cpd427 Member
    from ohio

That's what the problem was. I didn't have it mounted to metal, so it wasn't grounded. Thank you sir!