1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Equiptment value?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Makndust, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I'm looking at picking up 6 more accounts this fall. I have to buy some equiptment. I'm going to look at a guys equiptment on Thursday. He's getting out of the business. What do you think that it is worth.

1. 1978 Chevy 3/4 ton 4x4, 350 chevy with a 4spd and flat bed. It has a 8'2" Boss steel v plow on front.

2. 1981 Chevy 1 ton 4x4, dually, 454 chevy with 4 spd and dump box. It also has the Boss 8'2" steel v plow.

3. 1985 Chevy 1 ton 4x4, 4 door with duals, 350 chevy with 4spd and dump box. It again has the Boss 8'2" steel v plow and also a boss v box sander in the back.

Give me some thoughts then I'll let you know how much he wants for the package after I've looked at them. I'm not in love with the 4spds but for a pickup to do a little sanding and about 4-5 accounts per snow event I don't think that it will be bad. I do know how to change a clutch so that won't be a big deal.

As always any opinions or info is greatly appreciated.
  2. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Those Boss v's are to small for the duellys. You will forever be runnin over fresh snow and windrows.
    The four speeds are tough on you. Especially if you get a good storm and spend 30 hours in the truck !
  3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

These trucks are worth about $4000 each is very good condition as equipped in my market.
    Dually and the 4 door are major strikes against to me, especially around me. The 78 is the best truck in it's own right but..... depends on condition. In average condition they are only worth about $2500 each (yes, with the plows) out here.

Nothing wrong with the 4spds- bull of a tranny. You just need to learn how to plow with a standard. Proper technique is required and you'll have little to worry about with the clutches.
  4. Fastcar

Fastcar Member
    from MA

Honestly I don't see a whole hell of a lot of value there The dually's are going to be a pia 'cause of the small plow's. Actually dually's are a pia imo anyway for plowing. If you have another application for their use then maybe....
    For 6 more accounts, see if you can grab the 78 chevy and pass on the rest. Sight unseen it is a tough call, but given wear and tear, based on age they might bring 5-6K around here if you can find a buyer. Those dually's would be tough to move.

5. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

That guy likes smaller plows for some reason. Maybe consider Pro-Wings... some guys say they work well on the V-plows.

Nothing wrong with plowing with a dually--its all I use. Especially so if you plan on using them during the summer for hauling.

Same with the four-speed. It's a little harder on the driver on a long night but really not that bad. My truck has had one clutch put in it, and not because it was worn out, but the throw-out bearing failed (previous clutch job with last owner they didn't replace it)... I changed the whole thing while it was apart.

You may find the quad-cab a little long for plowing, but for straighter jobs not impossible. Nicer for taking employees to the job site though.

These trucks are simple and tough as nails. If you have enough mechanical know-how to do the repairs yourself, you will find they build you a lot of profit with your biggest overhead being fuel.

Its hard to put a price on older equipment, especially sight-unseen. Who knows who has driven it, used or abused it. People tend to think their value is low because they are old... personally, I figure quite the opposite--back then they knew how to build a TRUCK! Not these yuppie-specials they sell today.
  6. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Ah yes- I remember growing up with my parents 82 and 85 K5 Blazers.... new plugs and carb (quadra-bog Qjet) overhaul each year. Fun fun.....

They may have built good trucks compaired to many of todays (you just have to pick a good truck on todays market) but they were always in need of repair or tune-ups. Even a frame up resto needed repair regularly.
  7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Carb rebuilds? I've never done one yet. I axed the carb setup last year in favour of TBI, yet the carb still worked A-ok.

Maybe your bad carb was why you constantly needed plugs.

With e-testing a current reality, we change our plugs every two years when we need to renew our license plates. I think I can handle $15 for OEM AC plugs every year or two. I just get a few extentions and change them thru the wheel wells.

Any vehicle needs regular maintenance, and a few repairs. This becomes especially true when the vehicle gets to be over, say, 5 years old. Its when the repairs become constant that one needs to question it.

And as I always say, the problem with new vehicles is that they get old too quickly! :nod: Especially plowing snow.
  8. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

OK guys, heres the scoop. We looked at them today (me and my banker "my wife").
    The 85 4 door turns out to be single rear wheel. It is the only one with a current enough boss plow to have the smart hitch. He wants 4000 or the pickup, 2500 for the plow and 2000 for the sander. It seems to be in fair condition but has a huge dump bed on it.

The 81 is a dually. It has the older style boss v plow. It is in fair shape. the lower back corner of the cab is crunched a little and there is a small hole in the floor board from when it got crunched. The passenger door seems to seal and close fine though. It has a new tranny, dump bed with a roller and large 40 gallon dual tanks (not like I'll ever be able to afford to completely fill it anyway the way gas prices are). He wants 4000 for this pickup and 2500 for the boss plow.

The 78 is a rust bucket but runs pretty well. It has the same plow as the 81. It has single wheels and a flatbed. He wants 1500 for the pickup and 2500 for the plow.

I'm thinking of buying the v box sander, the 81 chevy and plow, and the 78 chevy and plow. I'll put the v box sander on the dually. We will probably offer him about 11,000 for the whole package. He wants 17,000 for all three trucks, plows and the sander.

I went to the local boss dealer and he said that this guy is priced about right for used boss 8'2" v plows at 2500 each. and 2000 for the v-box sander. I also found out that boss has just come out with wing extensions for their plows. I might put them on the dually make a little more plow out of it.

I guess we'll see.