1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Equipment Trailer Wanted

Discussion in 'Used Plowing and Truck Equipment Forum' started by ALEX516, Feb 22, 2006.

1. ALEX516

ALEX516 Senior Member

Hi, Located on Long Island in NY.
    Looking for a 10,000# trailer for a Bobcat 773 SSL
    Will be towed with a F250 and a Cummins 2500 so Nothing HUGE
    Prefer something along the lines of 14' or 16'. Pintle is nice, but will change out ball hitch if that's what cha' got...

Looking for something decent, so if you're within 3 hours of me, post, let me know what ya got and we'll go from there.

Prob. gonna end up buying new, as I can't find anything around here that's not destroyed.

Will also consider purchases in the Ma area, within 20 miles of Heath, MA

Thanks and please email me at snow631@optonline.net

2. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Just had one built per my specs at kaufman trailers.com 2k out the door.Delivery is $290.I'm going to visit family in NC so i'm picking mine up.If do call there ask for David tell him Tony from Echo Valley in CT gave you his name.

3. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

go down to your local equipment rental and they are always selling equipment adn trailers

4. DBL

DBL PlowSite.com Addict

oh and cheap too

5. ALEX516

ALEX516 Senior Member

Dbl

I know, I rented one for the blizzard we had recently from a rental shop.
    Asked about purchasing when I renturned it, he told me to call the next day, I called the next day, He said he did not get a chance to figure the price, asked me to call back middle of the following week.
    Called today, the guy's away till next week.

I'm into a bargain as much as the next guy, but I'm not going to beg this outfit to sell one of the trailers they rent. I also check the papers daily, but there's never anything but overpriced beat-up sh*t.

I did find one 1/2 hour away from me, looks like it's semi-decent, but the add he ran wants $18xx.00 and I can get a new one for 2-3 hundred more.

Uggh... Thank GOD I'm not going to need to move the machine for another month or so for normal work...

6. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Bobcatservice

Its tough to find a good used one. You will be far off to get a new one. Online try Hudson Bros. and the one another guy had in his post. North Carolinia there seems to be a lot of trailer builders. A couple more suggetions is get an 18' dual axle with electic brakes on both axles, and most important pintle hitch. Im in the landscaping bus. for 11 years and have bobcats. 14 is to small. Mine is 18 and i put my landscape rake, or my hoe attachment towards the front then load the cat. With this length your weight is well disrtibuted. If your just starting out and dont think you need the space trust me you will down the road. I started out with only a bobcat for snowplowing and turned in to a full blow out landscape business with attachments later. A pintle hitch is the only safe way for moving eq. do not trust a ball hitch. I think your state dot is going to recquire dual axle brakes, this should be a must anyway thats to much weight behind you. Hope this was some help for you , ive been there and done that.

mike

7. ALEX516

ALEX516 Senior Member

mike33

Thanks for that info mike.
    I've actually done landscaping for a while now, I recently had to stop for an injury sustained during a hit & run. I've almost 100% healed and purchased the machine for a huge amount of rough grading at my home. Will also be towing it to Ma. to our cabin where I have a LOT more grading to do after loggers came in and cleared out the front acre of our cabin's property. My wife's grandfather was getting worried about the trees which were 50 to 75' tall each and were "a falling and crushing hazard" to the cabin. He spends a lot of time there...

Anyhow, I've got a decent client base of snow removal customers and that was the remaining justification on the purchase of the machine. It was used but it's in VG conditon. I know a few local contractors which I've spread the word to about my machine and that I'm looking for work for it. I have not printed new business cards yet, since I don't want to float the machine out there to everyone I know in trades that can use it- before I have the "constant" means to transport it wherever I need and whenever I need to.

Sorry for the yapping here, but I was jsut interested in details on how you started with the machine, how you got work at the beginning and what kind of jobs you provided for people with it"

Not trying to pry or anything, I'm just trying to see how you put it all together initially. I've used them before, and am pretty proficient with it so it's not like I'm a beginner on it (just to clarify)
    I was debating on getting another attachment or two in the future, but other than what I've currently got I'm not sure what would be the ideal $ making attachments.

I've currently got forks and a 68" non-tooth bucket. A buddy has a Bobcat brand Grapple bucket, so I've always got access to that also. The 773G is hi-flo with the 2 electrical connections on the front amd all the switches on the hand controls.

Any feedback?

8. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

Bobcatservice

Alex,
    I painted cars for years had my own shop and and seen where tcch. was going to bite me in the ass. I needed some work done in my driveway and no one would ever show up to do tthis small job. this was in the early 90's when it snowed a lot. I got the idea to get a bobcat to plow snow it woild be the ultimate machine and do small jobs like gravel driveways, etc. I cashed in on a few investments took every cent i had a bought a new 94 753. I lve in a small low economey area and thought i would do well. Bought an old 79 1 ton truck no dump and tried hauling bobcat in bed of truck. This i seen was dangerous and would not work well, then had to go in debt for a trailer like i told you earlier for 1700.00. Things went down hill then got 4 snow accounts and first snow did not arrive untill Feb. 1 95 i made a whole 400.00 that first winter. Spring came i was getting no work keep in mind i barely new how to run machine and did not know business end either. Then rumor was going i was going out of body shop besiness and my car business stared going down. I got a few jobs here and there by a little ad in the newspaper add. Then with out a dump bed i was hauling dirt away and had to shovel the dirt off by hand, what a pain . Winter came and i decided to run a yellow page ad the best move i ever made the phone actually rang and i got a lot of business. When i was painting cars i might work on a car for a week and never had a yellow page ad word of mouth worked real good. However in this business since i could doa fair amount of jobs quick word of mouth did not work for the volume of turn over needed. The yellow page really worked and my logo was we specialize in small jobs. I was the first person in my area to actually say i was in the bobcat business. Winter 96 we had a lot of snow and made money plowing however, i seen the truck plow was better than using a bobcat with bucket, so i put a used plow on truck. With the 06 blizzard we got warm weather and had a major flood in my area, i seen where the landscape rake would work good on all of these messed up yards so i bought one. I was the first in my area to have the rockhound and other contractors called me for this sevice. Things lookbright yet? Well wiife decided to leave me in 96 went thru a divorce and damn near lost it all but i fought back and survied. Bought a hoe attachment next year , started building walls and installing new yards and learning the business. Last year i bought a new hydro seeder and other things. I guess the moral of this story is iwas totaly self taught, and started out with nothing had a lot of bad luck . But i stuck with it you dont know where starting out with a bobcat will land you, but i can say i work april- mid nov. and live 12 months . You also have to understand money and and not blow it all if you have a good week. I live the same life style in jan. that i do in june and my plow money i mostly bank so i can pay cash for new equiptment. Stick in there work hard and treat people right dont ever give up and you can make it with a bobcat.

Best of luck
    mike

Last edited: Feb 23, 2006
  9. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

Any chance you want to bring a landscape trailer back on that trailer? Those are some great prices.
    Let me know through pm when are you going down?
    Thanks

10. ALEX516

ALEX516 Senior Member

mike

Great sotry Mike, I've got a similar story, Guess we all do!

I'm going to run some adds in local papers and look into the yellow pages ad as well, I'll be getting a trailer very soon, so once I've got it, I'll start marketing the machine for jobs,etc. Don't want to do too much advertising before I ahve a way to move the machine and I've been renting the trailer as required for snowstorms if required.

Good luck as well and thanks for giving me the run down.

Later

11. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

Sorry I would have but I'm stopping in Virgina to pick up some equipment I bought.