1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Equipment Suggestions

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by lazyweekends1, Sep 8, 2014.

1. lazyweekends1

lazyweekends1 Junior Member

I have a landscape maintenance company in NE North Carolina. Normally we do not get a lot of snow here, but the last couple of years we have had several storms that drop enough ice and snow to cause enough problems that I get a bunch of calls from my commercial clients looking for help. When I know a storm is coming I will spread salt/de-icing material in parking areas and on sidewalks. Then, depending on how much snow we get, I will shovel sidewalks and when we get several inches I will get my tractor with a bucket to clear parking lots.
    I realize this may not be the best way to do things but given the infrequency of snow in my area, I am not sure I want to spend a bunch of money on equipment dedicated to snow removal. So my question is, what do you all think about getting a couple of walk behind snow blowers to help speed up the removal process? Would these make a difference and if not, are there any other suggestions? Assuming the snow blowers is a good idea, what type/brand would you recommend? Appreciate any help and suggestions you can give an ignorant guy from the "tropics"

2. ScubaSteve728

ScubaSteve728 Senior Member

Snowblowers are good for wet heavy snow usually over 3 or more inches. Any less than that and i feel it is not worn the time and effort to lug the thing around and load and unload it from a truck or trailer. If i were you I would look into an ATV or UTV with a snow plow or even a lawn tractor or zero turn mower plow if you mow grass. A ATV or UTV with a blade on it can make quick work of sidewalks and can also spread de icing materials.

3. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Does your tractor have a three point hitch, if you are only doing a small number of properties a rear blower might do it for you.

4. CurbKilla

CurbKilla Junior Member

a blade for a mower or 2 and chains for the tires. as long as the snow isn't deep that will be as inexpensive as it gets.