1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Equipment Suggestions For Hummer H2

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Flat-Lander, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Flat-Lander

Flat-Lander Junior Member
    from monroe

I will be relocating to an area on the TN/NC line and have never lived anywhere that got snow. We have a 1/2 mile drive that has several areas that are very steep and turn sharply. We have a stock H2 and were wondering about getting a plow, but like I said, I don't know anything about dealing with snow removal. I was thinking that I would find a plow for the front and put a salt spreader on the back, I didn't know if that would work--but one of my concerns is plowing the gravel driveway, leaving a thin layer of compressed snow that would freeze, making the driveway even worse, so I thought putting down salt over the scraped area would work--probably not even close, I really don't have a clue about this.
    Any suggestions about how to get started, what equipment might work best, or anything else would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

2. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

How much snow do you get there? Any idea, say how many inches per season?

3. Flat-Lander

from monroe

Google numbers are about 40-50 inches per year

The area (just east of Johnson City TN) gets about 40-50 inches per years.
    My main concern is the 3 sections of the drive that are very steep, coming down yesterday in only 3-4 of fresh snow we were sliding pretty good, not a good feeling. I have good snow tires, but I wasn't using chains, I ordered those this morning hoping it will help when coming down the drive.
    Thanks for the input.

4. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

You might be better off getting a tractor with a snowblower! Plowing a steep drive with a bunch of curves can get pretty hairy, even for someone who plows for a living, and I would hate for you to be down the side of a hill with your truck. I imagine with that long of a driveway you have quite the area to mow so it could come in handy with a mower deck the rest of the year? I guess you would have to make sure the drive was pretty level of you could be throwing rocks through the blower.
    By the way, if you post this somewhere other than "Chevy Trucks", you will probably get more responses. Try "residention plowing" or whatever its called.

5. t.i.b

t.i.b Senior Member

ive got a gravel drive and ya you do get a layer packed on there but not that bad. its worse early or late in the season when the grounds thawed,and even worse when the snow melts and youve gotta rake the gravel back

6. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

Boss, Fisher, & Sno-Way dont make a plow for an H2. I don't know who does.

7. Flat-Lander

from monroe

I was wondering about that

I was wondering about that, several of the sites I visited showed demos,but they were on paved surfaces. I was wondering how you prevent the blade from digging into the road too much when plowing.
    Thanks for the tips, great site.

8. grsp

grsp Member
    from indiana

i have a H2 with a western wideout plow on it. it is used commercially, and pushes a ton of snow. i had to have the plow mount custom fabricated, and some custom work done to the front bumper. a good welder can do this pretty easy. i went with the western because the light bar stays with the plow when it isn't on the truck. makes for a clean look. it takes less than 1 minute to put the plow on and off. if you want, i can get you a pic.

9. Flat-Lander

from monroe

Any pics would be greatly appreciated. I will checkout the plow you mentioned.
    I would love to see a picture of the mount you had made if you have a chance.
    Thanks for the help.

10. t.i.b

t.i.b Senior Member

just drop the blade bown and then raise it just enough to take most of the slack outa the chain. you'll figure out what works best for you pretty quick.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Meyer makes a mount for the STL7'6"