1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Equipment Shows

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Alan, Mar 26, 2000.

1. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

I cross posted the following to the &quot;Concord Trip&quot; discussion, then thought it might be worth it's own topic.<p>&quot;Vince, is that show at Gunstock the one that NH DOT is involved with in some capacity? I have seen articles about some big highway oriented equipment show held up in that area but always after the fact so I've never managed to go.<br>Also, there used to be a show hosted by Mass. Highway Assoc. held at Ft. Devens. Late September as I recall. Went to that one one year but haven't been able to find dates for it the last couple years. That was a pretty good show, do you know anything about it?&quot;<p>I, for one, would attend more shows if I found out about them in advance. My usual luck is to read about them the week AFTER they were held. <br> <br>

2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

That seems to be a problem with this industry, all the state and municiple agencies are targeted but not the private sector. We attending athe Federal Highway Admin. show last sept in Albany NY. The site changes yearly and for 2000 I am not sure where it will be. One benifit of SIMA is their ability to notify there members of local shows. <br>I belive that gunstock is where Vinnie mentioned that show will be, and it is hosted by NH dot.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

3. steveair

steveair Senior Member

say plowking, <p>How was that albany show? I got the information but didn't know much about it so didn't go. If its good, I can get my full time job to cover it. I just don't want to go to something that has nothing new or interesting.

4. plowking35

from SE CT

It was very good.Alot of vendors and equipment. That is where I first mey Vinnie and Jack, and also learned about magic -0. I also saw a plow that had no trip mechanism at all, the trip design was the urthane used in the moldbaord. i cant remember the makers name, and have heard of them since.They also had seminars and workshops. However not to be biased but the quality at the SIMA symposium is of a higher nature, and geared towards the private contractor. I hear there is an airport show in Buffalo in Sept, I believe. I think Vinnie may have some imput on that. He is going becaue airports are a very important market for our edges. I dont understand how you run steel edges on your tarmack, I thought FAA required rubber or the like. I do know that the poly edges will not be affected by grooved pavement.<br>Dino<br><p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

5. Vince Panaroni

Vince Panaroni Member

Sorry I'm late tonight. It was a tough &quot;down Under&quot; today, which is Monday in Austrailia. Anyway concerning the shows, Dino is right, SIMA does a good job in letting us know about some of the shows. Jack and I also belong to a few other organizations like American Public Works which gives us contact with every regional show or exhibit and open houses like Fridays at E.W. Sleepers. (The food was good I really liked the ribs) The Gunstock show is aDOT/Public Works show. The Winter Airport show is at the end of April in Buffalo, I'll have those dates also when I get back from my trip out to Nevada and California. The American Public Works Show is in Traverse City Michigan for you guys out there from that part of the world and I am also going to post this on our SIMA board so that our SIMA members get the dates in time. Most of the time like Alan says, we get to know about the get togethers after the fact. SteveAir, I need your number (telephone) to get the information to you concerning our edges. Any other questions let me know by tomorrow night, because Tuesday I'm Willie Nelson, ON THE ROAD AGAIN!!<p>vince

6. steveair

steveair Senior Member

Hey plowking,<p>Guess I'll have to schedule to go to albany next year (or where ever they have it). The buffalo show should be great this year because it will be a equipment year (every 4 years they bring it all) so all the real neat toys will be there.<p>There's only one problem. I WON'T. Not at least so far. I went last year so the rest of the crew is going this year. I have to stay back and &quot;hold the fort down&quot;. It figures, but I'm fighting my way back into it.<p>As for those plow edges, ya, there are some real funny regs out there, but our airport is not a true class 139 airport (like majors such as newark, JFK, buffalo, etc.) so we get a way with a lot of diff't things. We do not have in-pavement lighting, which is a big reason why others use the poly because they slide over them while steel rips them out (and they cost around 1000 a piece to fix) <p>I'm interested in why you say the poly isn't affected by the grooved runway. We use the steel because it gives us the cleanest scrape and it lasts the longest. We question the poly's durability, but if they are as durable as you say, we might reconsider.<p>We doubt mainly because of the the ware the grooves do on the steel first of all, and second because of the the wear it does on tires. On our small 2500 chevys that we use on the field daily, its not unusual to only get 3000 to 6000 miles out of a set of tires.<br>With that kind of ware on tires alone, you can see why wouldn't think the poly would hold up.<br>

7. n y snow pros

n y snow pros Senior Member

Steveair the show that was in Albany last year was put on by the National Department of Transportation and they hold 2 snow related shows per year,1 east of the Mississippi and 1 west of the big river.The western region is always in Colorado while the eastern show always travels to new locations. This year the show will be in Baltimore around the same time as last year. Its a great show and well worth the trip.

8. plowking35

from SE CT

Steve <br>I looked at soem type3 edges that Vinnie and Jack had at the show, and if tires were made of this material they would last forever. So I dont think the grooved pavement will affect it that much. Lebabnon Airport has grooved pavement and they usually use 3 steel edges a season and this year running the urethane edge they havent even wore on of the three wear surfaces yet. I think that you will be pleasantly surprised how they perform.<br>And if you go to the BAltimore show John may buy dinner.<br>Dino <p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org<br>

9. Vince Panaroni

Vince Panaroni Member

Steve,<p>What Dino said is correct. We have developed three different compounds for the cutting edges, and our lab is constantly working on better abrasion resistance and rebound, the two main factors of edge wear.<p>The airports where we have these edges were diehard carbide edge folks for years, and rubber when they had to do lights. The airport has a grooved center runway that must also be swept while plowing to keep the snow from packing and making it impossible to get out should the temperature go up and ice begins.<p>They also use other types of edges for the ramp area. Fisher Plow 8 foot and a 8 foot Diamond. They also use a Boss V plow with edges, and a back drag when they are clearing near or at the building. The same trucks also do the parking lots. <p>They normally go through three carbide edges per year and this year going into next will not have to flip the edge for the first time. This same situation is the same for the other trucks also.<p>They also use it on their 20 foot pusher instead of the rubber one. The tally isn't in yet but sometime in May I am told we will get the cost savings for this year over last year. I do know that his man hours per storm were less this year than before because the edges cleaned better than the previous ones did.<p>Change the subject. Some of you wanted to know about shows and dates, American Public Works is April 09 through 12 in Traverse City Michigan. We will be there along with the SIMA booth next to us. It was a good show last year (it was our first) and now that we know a few folks this year we are hoping to meet more people. The Gunstock and Buffalo shows are in May and the end of April as far as I know at this time. will update. Thats about it for now, this time tomorrow I'll be on my way to Lost Wages (On Business) and then over to Southern California to see my daughter and grandson. I'll keep up and post when I can.<p>vince