1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Equipment Security

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Brad3403, Oct 19, 2013.

1. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

What do you do to protect you're equipment (ie...trucks, skidsteers) from theft???

2. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Double 00 buckshot

3. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

:gunsfiring:

My plow is kept indoors. The truck, go ahead and steal it I want a new one anyway.

4. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

If your talking about keeping them safe on the lot then good luck...if they want it their going to get it... to slow them down put a battery cut off switch in, keep it in a well lite area (where a security camera is at?), and if its a really nice machine put something like lojack in it (if not , just make sure its insured REALLY well).

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Can always put a kill switch on it.

6. Crackersnow

Crackersnow Junior Member

I've heard of guys putting gps locators on their equipment.

7. Chace

Chace Junior Member
    from Canada

8. Chace

Chace Junior Member
    from Canada

if your running a door on your machine try some kind of bar threw the grab handles with a puck lock. Think I will try that this year. Brad, you in Calgary?

9. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Yes, I am.

10. Iawr

Iawr Senior Member

We make a wall of machines around our trucks when there staying out for a long period of time.easily done, park the trucks plow facing a wall lift the blade an inch or so lock the doors, surround truck with equipment that somebody couldn't easily drive Down the road

11. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

12. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Its tough most of the time. Kill switches are an option, but make sure its hidden well enough that someone couldn't just turn it on.

Another option is lowjack, which is OK, but also expensive and only good until someone finds the unit which is not all that hard for someone that has the stones to steal a piece of equipment.

We generally find ourselves resorting to things like blocking the the equipment with the trucks, and parking the trucks in a manner that they could not be hooked up to a tow truck and dragged out of the way, unless they had go-jacks. Or we will remove the batteries from our tractors if its a real bad area.

Equipment is tough because the keys are all the same. I tend to worry much less about trucks because they are harder to steal. Easier to hide, but still harder to steal.

13. DaveCN5

DaveCN5 Senior Member

Kill switch is the cheapest option, it just takes some creativity as to where to put it. I know 1 guy who uses a set of relays that re-routes the electricity from the ignition so that in order to get the machine to start, you have to turn the key to run, and then hit the right buttons in the right order, before it will allow the machine to start after turning the key.

I guess on that note, you could use a factory switch like the 4 way hazards as a kill switch, so before the machine will even turn on you get the lights flashing. Will bring some attention to the machine (if they even figure it out) before they even get it started.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  14. DaleK

DaleK Junior Member

It's also worth putting locking caps or screens of some kind on your fuel, oil and hydraulic fills on equipment. Some punk (or even, dare I say, a shady competitor) throwing a couple of handfuls of sand in your hydraulics will screw up your winter for sure.

15. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

^^^ Yeah, I haven't heard of any diesel fuel or heating oil thefts around here for awhile, but last year there were a few. If it's not some butthead siphoning oil out of a little old lady's tank while she's in the hospital, it's mopes like these, taking it by the barrel: Saugerties pair charged in diesel fuel theft

There's always somebody who can't keep their mitts off other people's stuff. :mad:

16. OldSchoolPSD

OldSchoolPSD Senior Member

My three cousins and I live within earshot of the shop. Two of us are Ranger/Sapper qualified. I wish a mother!;&?er would...

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  17. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I would be more worried about what they put in the tank(s) then stealing it. A hand full of sugar is a bad thing.

18. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

I keep all my equipment in my garage. My trailer sits on the side of my garage, i keep snow piled a few feet in front of it to prevent theft. My truck stays outside.

19. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

20. Maine_Train

Maine_Train Senior Member

^^^ I'm guessing you saw and enjoyed this part as much as I did:
    <http://www.fleetmatics.com/gps-vehicle-tracking-puts-bad-guys-in-jail-video>

Got the thieves, and the guy who bought the stolen stuff. I love it! :cool: